Forum Stats

• 3,853,743 Users
  • 2,264,263 Discussions
  • 7,905,440 Comments

Discussions

control file issue in oracle installed on Redhat Machine.

2650954 Member Posts: 37
edited Jun 20, 2014 8:19AM in General Database Discussions

Hello,

I got following error while shutting down the database

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

ORA-00210: cannot open the specified control file

ORA-00202: control file: '/home/core/Databases/ControlFile/ctl2.dat'

ORA-27041: unable to open file

Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Additional information: 3

when I check for control file i could not found that control file may be deleted by mistake.

Is there any way to recover control file?

tsangsirFreddieEssex2650954

Answers

• FreddieEssex
    FreddieEssex Member Posts: 757

You can recover the controlfile from one of the following:

an rman backup

a mulriplexed copy of the controlfile...was this the only copy of the controlfile?

from a trace file if you had previously executed a backup controlfile to trace.

Or create the controlfile using the create controlfile command.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

"May" be deleted by mistake?

This is why oracle strongly recommends that control files (and redo log files) be multiplexed.

If yours are multiplexed, all you have to do is copy one of the surviving copies back to the name/location of the lost copy.

If not, we have a more complex problem.

• tvCa-Oracle
    tvCa-Oracle Member Posts: 1,736

I've seen an admin perform unconditional removes of any directories that exactly matched the word "core", no matter where on the server, no matter who owned it. Maybe that is what happened here ... "core" is a weird name for an account though.

tsangsir
  • EdStevens
    edited Jun 19, 2014 11:54AM

And I've had SAs remove my online redo logs because they were named '*.log'.

Which is why, in addition to multiplexing, I don't name them '*.log' any more.  Prior to 10g, their default name was *.rdo.  After getting bit, I've reverted back to that naming, so as to not tempt an SA.

fortunately, because I *was* multiplexed, it was more an annoyance than a business critical issue.

I guess I should have put more emphasis on "MAY".  The OP needs to be finding out for sure how this happened.  No "may" about it.

tsangsirFreddieEssex
  • B Dave
    B Dave Member Posts: 97 Blue Ribbon

find another control file.

Place it '/home/core/Databases/ControlFile/' here

and rename it as 'ctl2.dat'

Hope you have multiplexed control file available.

check with 'show parameter control' if you really don't know control file locations.

HTH

B Dave

2650954 Member Posts: 37

Mine was not multiplexed.

Is there another way or I have to re Install Oracle database software again?

• Alvaro
    Alvaro Member Posts: 709 Silver Badge
    edited Jun 20, 2014 4:31AM

You're gonna have to re-create the control file, with NORESETLOGS. A simple google search will get you all the information you need. You will need to acquire the correct db_name, location of logfiles and datafiles, and characterset for this operation. For the future, use control file auto backups, multiplexing and periodically do a trace of the control file to avoid this happening.

Have a read:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/statements_5003.htm#SQLRF53762

• EdStevens
    7144389e-3944-4d5c-830e-46539d2d9971 wrote:

Mine was not multiplexed. 

Is there another way or I have to re Install Oracle database software again?

Reinstalling the software has nothing to do with a database control file.  What you ask is like deleting an Excel spreadsheet, then asking if you can recover it by re-installing Microsoft Office.

The software is not the database and the database is not the software.  The control file is part of a database.

• tvCa-Oracle

Definately, besides solving the issue of getting this solved, it's needed to know why that happens, as file being deleted is not a good thing. I'm seeing a database file in what looks like a Home directory ... I don't think the Home directory should contain parts of a database. But, it may also not actually be a Home structure, just looks like one.

I also don't understand why the redo files are named .log, since it is generally accepted that .log files are text-files which are normally not necessary for running processes. The redos actually are totally different, extremely different even, on all levels, in that context. It doesn't surprise me at all that some day, some OS admin, or a non-experienced DBA would remove these files, thinking there are just text logs ... RDO seems like a perfect naming. Litterally though, they are logs, in the way they log things, in a serial manner ...

• tvCa-Oracle

I think he or she means that although you technically can remove the instance only and re-use the database software, the process used to setup a database and instance is one complete procedure which ... sets up database and instance

This discussion has been closed.