Forum Stats

• 3,817,474 Users
  • 2,259,339 Discussions
  • 7,893,791 Comments

Discussions

URGENT:I need to find a way to use an Oracle ODBC driver to submit queries to an Oracle 8i database

2730880 Member Posts: 2
edited Aug 12, 2014 12:18PM in ODBC

I need to find a way to use an Oracle ODBC driver to submit queries to an Oracle 8i database on Linux  from a Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit environment using the ADO approach.

I’ve tried several approaches using the default Micrososft 32bit Oracle DB driver, installing several versions of the Oracle Client and several versions of drivers – but each and every time bump into error message related to 32/64bit architecture conflicts (different message depending on the appraoch).

Searching the web, I do not seem to find the right approach to resolve any of the error messages.

Please provide the right combination of client+driver+installation procedure to be able to:

• - from a  64bit Windows 2008 R2 architecture
  • - submit via ODBC queries
  • - using the ADO approach from MS Nav 2009 SP1
  • - query an Oracle 8i database on Linux

None of the above parameters can be changed (ie no upgrades/downgrades possible for any of the partners as these are production environments)

Answers

• Sdhamoth-Oracle
    Sdhamoth-Oracle Member Posts: 184 Employee

If you're 8i server is running on version below 8.1.7, then I don't see any possibility to connect from Windows 2k8R2 with any Oracle client.

There is possibility for you to do all your tasks by installing 10.2.0.4 or 10.2.0.5 client 64bit on your Windows x64 2008 R2 server.

Thanks & Regards,

Senthil

2730880 Member Posts: 2

Hi,

Among my different attempts I've installed the 10.2.0.2.0 (client + drivers) 64 bit edition.

However when with the 64 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator I try to declare a DSN (user or system) I get the message "The setup routines for the Orccle in instantclient10_02 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 998: Invalid access to memory location . (<my path path>\SQORAS32.DLL)".

Browsing the web I understand that this means that I cannot create a 64bit DNS? this because it tis nopt a64bit application?

When I try to run c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe instead  I get "system error code 193" which I understand tells me  that this is not a valid 32bit application?

Since I've made other various unsuccesful other tries, before I try try a slighly newer version the client (thus "putting more distance" with Oracle 8i) - maybe you can please tell me if I'm not doing something wrongalready with this version?

Otherwise do you know that  the versions you suggest do correct a problem with the 10.2.0.2?

Thanx in advance for any possible  further information.

• Sdhamoth-Oracle
    Sdhamoth-Oracle Member Posts: 184 Employee

Since you are using Windows x64 2008 R2 server, you need to user Oracle client version 10.2.0.4. I don't think all components in earlier version (10.2.0.2) will work on WIndows x64 2008 R2 server.

This discussion has been closed.