• 2,248,256 Discussions
  • 7,861,251 Comments

Discussions

Problem with connection to Oracle Server Enterprise 11g

Dancko
Dancko Member Posts: 64
edited Feb 25, 2015 9:01PM in General Database Discussions

Hi to all

I have a problem to connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g 64bit.

On my pc I have installed oracle Oracle Client 10g 32bit.

I want connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g on remote machine.

1. With SQL Developer I connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g without any problem.
  2. With SQL Plus I do not connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g and i get this error message: ora-12170 tns connect timeout occurred
  3. With TOAD for Oracle I do not connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g and i get this error message: ora-01017 invalid username/password logon denied-

TNSNames.ora configuration is ok!

Can any one tell me why I get the errors 2) and 3) and how to resolve them?

Regards.

Answers

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Member Posts: 15,755 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 24, 2015 9:00PM

It would seem that sqlplus and toad are using two different oracle clients / tnsnames.ora files   Note that toad can also be used to bypass the tnsnames.ora file and directly specify hostname portnumber service name  (and also sqlplus with ezconnect !).  So check how your connections are configured.

If you are getting an invalid username/password check if the username/password are correct, check if the password is case sensitive, check if the connection request is going to some other database !

Hemant K Chitale

• Geert Gruwez
    Geert Gruwez Member Posts: 1,011
    edited Feb 25, 2015 2:26AM

you can see what location is used for sqlplus by running a tnsping command

> tnsping database_alias

this should display the network folder user for the tns

• Srinivasan S
    Srinivasan S Member Posts: 76
    edited Feb 25, 2015 10:31AM

From SQL Developer also you can connect using TNS Alias, try it out and check your getting the same error.

• 12cdb
    12cdb Member Posts: 2,971
    edited Feb 25, 2015 10:58AM

Hi,

>> With SQL Plus I do not connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g and i get this error message: ora-12170 tns connect timeout occurred

You are trying to connect 32bit SQL Plus with 64 bits database?

I am not aware but it should work. Did you check any compatibility issue with Oracle support portal ?

HTH,

Pradeep

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,229 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 25, 2015 11:45AM
    12cdb wrote:

Hi,
    >> With SQL Plus I do not connect to oracle server enterprise edition 11g and i get this error message: ora-12170 tns connect timeout occurred
    I am not aware but it should work. Did you check any compatibility issue with Oracle support portal ?

HTH,
    Pradeep

Why wouldn't it work?  It's a network connection.  bit architecture is not involved.  That only comes into play when you have one process making an inter process call to another process on the same hardware.  I have 32-bit clients calling 64-bit databases all day, every day.

And if that WERE the problem, you'd see different errors - not network timeouts and invalid username/password.

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Member Posts: 15,755 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 25, 2015 9:01PM

64bit servers were introduced many years ago.  Client desktops have been (and many still are) 32bit.  Client-Server applications wouldn't have worked if 32bit clients couldn't talk to 64bit servers.

Hemant K Chitale

This discussion has been closed.