Forum Stats

• 3,749,903 Users
  • 2,250,074 Discussions
  • 7,866,685 Comments

Discussions

ER notations in SQL developer

975148 Member Posts: 613
edited Apr 29, 2015 7:59AM in SQL Developer

We have Oracle 11g database in our environment and SQL developer version is 3.2.x. I generated an ER diagram for all the tables in the schema of our database, I could see 3 different types of lines between entities in the ER diagram

1) Solid line

2) Dashed line

3) Some part in solid and some part dashed

I searched online but there are different ER notations and SQL seems to be using a distinct one. I am not able to make the difference between them.

I hope I have been able to explain my requirement of significance of 3 types of lines between entities in SQL developer.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

Answers

• David Last-Oracle
    David Last-Oracle Member Posts: 1,057 Silver Trophy
    edited Apr 23, 2015 8:45AM

If you right-click over an empty area of your ER diagram (Logical Model) then the drop-down menu has a Notation option that allows you to choose Barker, Bachman or Information Engineering notation.

Regards,

David

edited Apr 24, 2015 2:20AM

Thanks for your answer but my query is on what do the notations mean. Take for eg., Bachman notation, what would be the notations meaning specific to connectivity between entities as per my initial post.

Regards

• Gary Graham-Oracle
    Gary Graham-Oracle Member Posts: 3,256 Bronze Crown
    edited Apr 24, 2015 7:27AM

Help for Data Modeler Concepts and Usage > Working With... > Logical Model > Logical Diagram and Subviews contains this statement:

Detailed explanations and examples of each notation style are widely available in textbooks and on the Web.

So the expectation was that articles like Entity–relationship model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the like would suffice. Granted that on Wikipedia you also need to check the Talk tab for criticisms of the article.

Perhaps right-clicking on a line and reviewing the information in its properties dialog will help you better interpret its specific meaning in Data Modeler.

edited Apr 29, 2015 4:37AM

I do not understand is it the menu navigation of Data Modeler Concepts and Usage > Working With... > Logical Model > Logical Diagram and Subviews? I somehow did not understand your answer. Also, did not get the last line of right-clicking on a line and.......

Regards

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 7,905 Employee
    edited Apr 29, 2015 7:59AM

look at the relationship properties - it will describe the relationship..that's what he meant by right-clicking on the line

This discussion has been closed.