Forum Stats

• 3,768,925 Users
  • 2,252,875 Discussions
  • 7,874,802 Comments

Discussions

Is there any way to get a login to download patches for testing older Sparc based systems?

2997918 Member Posts: 3
edited Jul 30, 2015 4:09AM in Downloads Issues

I have done a lot of reading about Solaris 10 and 11 over the past few weeks.  Is it true that Solaris is dead for older Sparc systems?  Will Oracle ever release patches to the community for older Sparc based systems?  Is there any way to get a developer login to just get firmware updates for older systems to get the openboot up to date so you can properly use newer keyboards and mice?  Would it be possible for anyone in the community to give just some pointers and what to do if you want to test drive solaris on an older sparc based system without have to buy a full premier support contract?

Just asking, looking for a hint......

Thank you,

Nick

Answers

• Pascal Kreyer-Oracle
    Pascal Kreyer-Oracle Member Posts: 1,928
    edited Jul 30, 2015 3:12AM

Is it true that Solaris is dead for older Sparc systems?  No, if you use Solaris 10 and if this is supported for these old machines. The media is downloadable there : Oracle Solaris 10 Downloads

Will Oracle ever release patches to the community for older Sparc based systems? No

Is there any way to get a developer login to just get firmware updates for older systems to get the openboot up to date so you can properly use newer keyboards and mice?  You don't need to update the OBP if you use supported hardware.

Would it be possible for anyone in the community to give just some pointers and what to do if you want to test drive solaris on an older sparc based system without have to buy a full premier support contract? See the first line.

2997918 Member Posts: 3
    edited Jul 30, 2015 3:38AM

Thank you for the reply Pascal Kreyer,

Is there any way to get a developer login to download patches or is the only way through buying a support contract?

From what i have read and attempted i can install Solaris 10, but cannot patch it, unless there is something i am doing wrong.  I did a base install of the Solaris 10 product and it would not connect to download updates.

I am assuming there are security patches that need to be applied since the last release.(1/13)

If openboot cannot be updated, do you or anyone else know what generation of keyboard and mouse a Sunblade 2500 red would support?

I have tried the generation 7 keyboard and laser mouse and it comes up with no keyboard or mouse present.

Again thank you for the response...

• Pascal Kreyer-Oracle
    Pascal Kreyer-Oracle Member Posts: 1,928
    edited Jul 30, 2015 4:09AM

No idea if you can obtain a developer login. I suggest to contact a support sale and check with him if we can give something.

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/contact/index.html

For type 7 keyboard, you must have an OBP higher that 4.10 revision. The revision 4.16 is highly recommended.

This discussion has been closed.