• 2,262,455 Discussions
  • 7,900,863 Comments

Discussions

How to create button with image in Oracle Forms 11g

Su.gi
Su.gi Member Posts: 511
edited Sep 4, 2015 4:36AM in Forms

Hi All,

I am developing an application using Oracle Forms 11g.

In Formsweb.cfg imagebase parameter is codebase.

I am using Button images from my icons.jar.

My requirement is

I need to create button with image without using any jar files.

How to do this?

Thanks,

Su.gi

Tagged:
Celal Özdemir

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,320 Employee
    edited Aug 31, 2015 9:05AM

If the image is not in a jar, where would you like to store it?  Storing it on a remote server is not recommended as this will degrade application performance.  Consider that each time the button is rendered, it will have to return to the server and ask for the image again.

The simple answer to your question is that if you want to do what I mentioned, even though not recommended, you simply replace the Image file name with the URL to the image.  For example:

https://community.oracle.com/people/Su.gi/avatar/46.png

You can also use a relative path.  So if the image is located on the same server with Forms but in the web server's images directory, you could enter a value like this:

/images/myImage.jpg

To troubleshoot problems trying to understand the properly URL, use the Java Console in trace mode.  It will show you exactly where the request is going.  You should be able to see what is wrong with the request and correct it as needed.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

Celal Özdemir
  • Su.gi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 1:07AM

Thanks for your reply Michael.

I would like to store my images in my Application Server like (E:\app\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1\forms\Icons).

All the client system should access the images from my Application server and those systems doesn't need internet access.

Is there any possible way to store images in client system and access it in my application (as like java)?

Thanks in advance,

Su.gi

• Roelof van Suilichem
    Roelof van Suilichem Member Posts: 228 Blue Ribbon
    edited Sep 1, 2015 3:38AM

Su.gi,

Please can you share your reason for NOT wanting them in a JAR?

JAR is really the optimal method to use images. Again, read the first line of Michael's response.

Using a JAR file will see the JAR downloaded automatically to each client, and the images will then be accessed from the JAR file on client storage.

• Celal Özdemir
    Celal Özdemir Member Posts: 173 Blue Ribbon
    edited Sep 1, 2015 4:02AM

Jar File Signing  can be reason probably, at least for me

Self Signing need to apply each client .

• Su.gi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 4:35AM

Thanks for your reply Roelof.

If I used self signed Jar means, It has been blocked by updated Java versions.

Thanks,

Su.gi

• Su.gi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 4:37AM

Thanks for your reply Celal.

I am using self signed jars only for images.

But now a days Java updates blocking my self signed Jars.

Then is there any possible solutions for loading image in button without jars.

Thanks,

Su.gi

• fxmatz
    fxmatz Member Posts: 230
    edited Sep 1, 2015 4:51AM

The best price is 95$ per year for a code signing certificate  from a Trusted Certificate Authority

and you does not have any trouble ( and incl. the -tsa 'timestamps' ... ) !

I have verified this.

• Su.gi
    edited Sep 1, 2015 4:58AM

Thanks for your reply fxmatz.

I know the cost for trusted certificates.

My requirement is how to load image icon on button without jar files.

Is it possible.

Thanks,

Su.gi

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,320 Employee
    edited Sep 1, 2015 8:54AM

As I mentioned previously, not using a jar file is possible, but is strongly discouraged for a variety of reasons.  It should also be noted that the requirement of signing jar files was introduced in order to improve the security around Java applets.  Trying to avoid or work-around any security features is never a good idea and should certainly not be considered in a professional environment.  Electing to not use signed jar files may put your environment at risk.  For educational or local testing purposes, the use of self-signing is sufficient and is easy to implement given that such environments would generally be individual users only.

If you refer back to my original response, I explain how to do what you've asked.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Su.gi
    edited Sep 4, 2015 4:36AM

Thanks for  your reply Michael.

I am testing my application in local. I am not having webserver. I just having the images in my local system only. And also i dont have an internet connection for that system.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Su.gi

This discussion has been closed.