• 3,827,532 Users
  • 2,260,790 Discussions
  • 7,897,294 Comments

Discussions

Import/Export

Earl Lewis
Earl Lewis Member Posts: 2,152 Bronze Badge
edited Sep 2, 2015 4:00PM in SQL Developer

Is there any way, inside SQL Developer to save an import or export "specification", i.e. a group of settings that you can reuse for the same operation over and over again? This would be something along the lines of a data pump parameter file. I'm familiar with data pump (I don't want to move data between databases) and the current import/export features and I've not seen this anywhere.

Whenever you walk through an import or export operation you have to answer a whole bunch (ok, quite a few) of questions and it would be really nice if you could answer these questions, save your answers and then reuse/modify your answers until you get exactly what you want. I find myself going through the procedure about 4-5 times on imports until I get it just right, and have to answer all the questions all the way through each time.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the fact that import/export have been made relatively easy with the tools SQL Developer provides. It just seems that it would be pretty trivial to save a group of settings and then recall them if you wanted to reuse them.

Does anyone else experience the same thing? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Sincerely curious,

Earl

Tagged:
Earl Lewis

Best Answer

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,617 Employee
    edited Sep 2, 2015 3:31PM Answer ✓

We added just that feature for Imports in 4.1

Click the 'save state' button to record your import settings (an import from Excel or CSV)

41_import8.png

then next time you do an import -

click the 'Restore State' button

41_import1.png

This file can also be used to script an import using the SDCLI program (it's a command line interface for SQL Developer to run formats, exports, imports, cloud uploads, unit tests, etc)

For exports - if you use the cart to do your export, you can save the settings for that too.

Earl Lewis

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,617 Employee
    edited Sep 2, 2015 3:31PM Answer ✓

We added just that feature for Imports in 4.1

Click the 'save state' button to record your import settings (an import from Excel or CSV)

41_import8.png

then next time you do an import -

click the 'Restore State' button

41_import1.png

This file can also be used to script an import using the SDCLI program (it's a command line interface for SQL Developer to run formats, exports, imports, cloud uploads, unit tests, etc)

For exports - if you use the cart to do your export, you can save the settings for that too.

Earl Lewis
  • Earl Lewis
    Earl Lewis Member Posts: 2,152 Bronze Badge
    edited Sep 2, 2015 4:00PM

Amazing!! Thank you so much. Now I just need to get 4.1.

This discussion has been closed.