• 3,780,546 Users
  • 2,254,409 Discussions
  • 7,879,380 Comments

Discussions

Version of a fmb file

MlyGamboa
MlyGamboa Member Posts: 3
edited Nov 4, 2015 7:42AM in Forms

How to know if a fmb file is created with version 6i or version 10g?

Tagged:
MlyGamboa

Best Answer

• Christian Erlinger
    Christian Erlinger Member Posts: 3,244 Gold Trophy
    edited Oct 23, 2015 4:40AM Accepted Answer
    Try to open it with Form Builder 6i. If it opens without errors then you can assume that it had not been saved from a later version.

That sounds a lot like the HTML 5 IExplorer Test:

Open HTML File in Internet Explorer => it does not work => it's HTML 5

Unfortunately for forms this is the valid version check I can think of as well. Even if you open a 10g and a 6i .fmb file with a hex editor they look very much alike; one could of course analyze a known 6i fmb file with a hex editor, convert it to 10g and look at it again with the hex editor (don't reference any database objects in it) but in all honesty as funny as it sounds it certainly is easier to try to open the fmb file with the lower version of Forms Builder and see if it crashes...

cheers

MlyGamboa

Answers

• Marwim
    Marwim Member Posts: 3,649 Gold Trophy
    edited Oct 23, 2015 2:23AM

Try to open it with Form Builder 6i. If it opens without errors then you can assume that it had not been saved from a later version.

Regards

Marcus

MlyGamboa
  • Amatu Allah Neveen Ebrahim
    Amatu Allah Neveen Ebrahim Member Posts: 5,081 Gold Trophy
    edited Oct 23, 2015 3:30AM

Hi

The main difference overall can easily be noticed from the icon of the form 6i has more focused red color but forms 10g has light red color:

1. The main standard difference can be read from :  menu tool bar > Help  menu > click About Form Builder.
    2. On Running the form 10g will through error FRM-10142 HTTP listenser is not  on <ur computer name> running ...;
    3. On Running the form 6i it  will run without this error.
    4. The standard toolbar of form 10g (cut, copy,paste,open,add, remove,run,debug,etc) icons is on the form's top position.
    5. The standard toolbar of form 6i (cut, copy,paste,open,add, remove,run,debug,etc) icons is on the form's Left position.

Amatu Allah.

MlyGamboa
  • Christian Erlinger
    edited Oct 23, 2015 4:40AM Accepted Answer

That sounds a lot like the HTML 5 IExplorer Test:

Open HTML File in Internet Explorer => it does not work => it's HTML 5

Unfortunately for forms this is the valid version check I can think of as well. Even if you open a 10g and a 6i .fmb file with a hex editor they look very much alike; one could of course analyze a known 6i fmb file with a hex editor, convert it to 10g and look at it again with the hex editor (don't reference any database objects in it) but in all honesty as funny as it sounds it certainly is easier to try to open the fmb file with the lower version of Forms Builder and see if it crashes...

cheers

MlyGamboa
  • MlyGamboa
    MlyGamboa Member Posts: 3
    edited Oct 23, 2015 6:43PM

Thank you!! I will use a hex editor!!

• Christian Erlinger
    edited Oct 27, 2015 3:50AM
    MlyGamboa wrote:

Thank you!! I will use a hex editor!! 

That was just an idea. There is no guarantee that you will find any relevant information. As already said - the crash / not crash check is the most valid check (although of course forms builder could crash due to other reasons as well...).

cheers

MlyGamboa
  • Roelof van Suilichem
    Roelof van Suilichem Member Posts: 228 Blue Ribbon
    edited Nov 4, 2015 7:42AM

See "How to Obtain the Forms Version from the FMB file (Doc ID 207701.1)"

This discussion has been closed.