• 2,253,129 Discussions
  • 7,875,490 Comments

Discussions

Database upgradation from 9i to 11.2.0.4

Aryacool
Aryacool Member Posts: 163
edited Nov 29, 2015 11:38PM in Database Upgrade

Hi All,

I want to upgrade one standalone database from 9i to 11.2.0.4. Please suggest pre-requisite and post up-gradation task steps or share some link.

Can i directly upgrade from 9i to 11.2.0.4 ?

By Export/Import or Rman which will be better please suggest ?

Please share steps of export/import method ?

Thanks & Regards,

Arya

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Oratig-Oracle
    Oratig-Oracle Member Posts: 1,433 Silver Trophy
    edited Nov 27, 2015 8:55PM Accepted Answer

Arya,

If you have chosen export / import method, You may have to know what is the disadvantage and advantage. If you do export/import segment fragmentation will be removed (this is good one), Only once we offer down time and perform two task (1.upgrade 2. De-fragmentation), But you will have to spend time to complete the database upgrade.

You may need to consider your database size and total downtime you get ?

We may be able to parallelize the export and import and complete faster. example, You can split the export and import table / schema level (if you have FK/PK relationship you will have to maintain the same).

Below are the questions in my mind.

1) 9i database is running in Server A, Do you want to upgrade this database in this same server ? if yes did you check OS and RDBMS software certification ?

2) If you want to upgrade on the same server using export / import, then Do you have enough space to create new database and to perform import ?

3) if you are doing import on 11g which is created on same server (SERVER A), then do you have RAM / CPU to speed up the process ?

4) You can consider database upgrade (on the same server) using manual upgrade or DBUA, which does not need extra space and your upgrade goes from -->  current version to 9.2.0.8 to 11.2.0.4

5) manual / DBUA may take time depends on component installed in this database and invalid invalid objects (if you have very less then total upgrade till 11.2.0.4 may take 2 hours max).

If you feel you need to upgrade database in new server, then you may have to consider below.

a) how the data will be moved to New server ? is your network speed is good ?

b) Will you move data before upgrade? OR after upgrade OR For upgrade ?

c) You can build standby for current version  --> this will move data before upgrade, so once graceful fail-over completes you can upgrade database using DBUA / Manual (describe in point 5)

c) If you want move database after upgrade --> you can upgrade database and build standby for this in new database in new server (This may not be a good option)

d) If you want move database during upgrade -->You can do export and import (this also takes time and your network involved).

With my opinion, export import in a good option if you are fine to have good amount of downtime and if you want to achieve upgrade and De-fragmentation at same time .

post your question if you have

Thanks

Answers

• Krishna-Oracle
    Krishna-Oracle Member Posts: 866 Employee
    edited Nov 27, 2015 4:57AM

Hi Arya,

What is your 9i database version?

If it is 9.2.0.8.0 you can directly upgrade database to 11.2.0.4.0

Otherwise apply 9.2.0.8.0 patch set and get it upgraded to 9.2.0.8.0

You can also choose export/import where this intermediate patching is not required. But downtime will be more.

If you MOS access, have a look at

Note 551141.1 : Database Server Upgrade/Downgrade Compatibility Matrix

Note 419550.1 : Different Upgrade Methods For Upgrading Your Database

Note 837570.1 : Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2

Note 870814.1 : Complete checklist to upgrade the database to 11gR2 using DBUA

Otherwise

ttps://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/toc.htm

Aryacool
  • Oratig-Oracle
    edited Nov 27, 2015 8:55PM Accepted Answer

Arya,

If you have chosen export / import method, You may have to know what is the disadvantage and advantage. If you do export/import segment fragmentation will be removed (this is good one), Only once we offer down time and perform two task (1.upgrade 2. De-fragmentation), But you will have to spend time to complete the database upgrade.

You may need to consider your database size and total downtime you get ?

We may be able to parallelize the export and import and complete faster. example, You can split the export and import table / schema level (if you have FK/PK relationship you will have to maintain the same).

Below are the questions in my mind.

1) 9i database is running in Server A, Do you want to upgrade this database in this same server ? if yes did you check OS and RDBMS software certification ?

2) If you want to upgrade on the same server using export / import, then Do you have enough space to create new database and to perform import ?

3) if you are doing import on 11g which is created on same server (SERVER A), then do you have RAM / CPU to speed up the process ?

4) You can consider database upgrade (on the same server) using manual upgrade or DBUA, which does not need extra space and your upgrade goes from -->  current version to 9.2.0.8 to 11.2.0.4

5) manual / DBUA may take time depends on component installed in this database and invalid invalid objects (if you have very less then total upgrade till 11.2.0.4 may take 2 hours max).

If you feel you need to upgrade database in new server, then you may have to consider below.

a) how the data will be moved to New server ? is your network speed is good ?

b) Will you move data before upgrade? OR after upgrade OR For upgrade ?

c) You can build standby for current version  --> this will move data before upgrade, so once graceful fail-over completes you can upgrade database using DBUA / Manual (describe in point 5)

c) If you want move database after upgrade --> you can upgrade database and build standby for this in new database in new server (This may not be a good option)

d) If you want move database during upgrade -->You can do export and import (this also takes time and your network involved).

With my opinion, export import in a good option if you are fine to have good amount of downtime and if you want to achieve upgrade and De-fragmentation at same time .

post your question if you have

Thanks

• Aryacool
    edited Nov 27, 2015 11:42PM

Hi Oratig-Oracle,

Thanks for your reply.

1)  9i DB size is 1TB approx.

2) No i am not going to upgrade it in Same server.

3) I have to propose the better option for migration between export,import / RMAN / Goldengate .

( I was choosing for export / import as you suggest that it dont need upgrade matrix and pre & post requisites like script running )

Regards,

Arya

• Oratig-Oracle
    edited Nov 28, 2015 12:43AM

Arya,

Your wish, you can not use RMAN as there is upgrade matrix involved and if you choose golden gate, it is fine but you need to check golden gate software for your older version

If you got an answer mark as answered ... if you have any question post it

Thanks

Aryacool
  • Aryacool
    edited Nov 28, 2015 5:32AM

Hi Oratig,

Yes in Golden gate need 9i compatible and it can be only possible from oracle so client will not going increase budget , option is export/import.

I have some questions, after referring all the metalink i will post if those are remain then i will close the thread.

Regards,

Arya

• Oratig-Oracle
    edited Nov 28, 2015 5:37AM

Hi,

You can also refer the below blog.

https://blogs.oracle.com/upgrade/

Thanks,

Aryacool
  • Aryacool
    edited Nov 29, 2015 10:35PM

Hi Oratig,

1. If i am taking export/import method for upgradation and my source 9i Database character set is WE8MSWIM and my target database is default AL32UTF8 then is it affect importing to target or it will through any error after upgradation ?

2. If object having BLOB,BFILE,CLOB in source database then what to do for target 11.2.0.4 database ?

Regards,

Arya

• Krishna-Oracle
    Krishna-Oracle Member Posts: 866 Employee
    edited Nov 29, 2015 11:25PM

Export will take care of characterset conversion and also Large objects.

You can try export/import

Aryacool
  • Oratig-Oracle
    edited Nov 29, 2015 11:38PM

Hi,

1. If i am taking export/import method for upgradation and my source 9i Database character set is WE8MSWIM and my target database is default AL32UTF8 then is it affect importing to target or it will through any error after upgradation ?

> You will have to check character set migration.

> Moving database from one database character set to another in not so simple

> You may have some data loss, it depends on bytes associated with your character set

check "Replacement Characters that Result from Using the Export and Import Utilities"

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28298/ch11charsetmig.htm#i1006004

2. If object having BLOB,BFILE,CLOB in source database then what to do for target 11.2.0.4 database ?

mentioned datatypes should be handled by your export.

My view -> You may have to execute on system and have a check for character set..

Thanks

Aryacool
This discussion has been closed.