Forum Stats

• 3,727,959 Users
  • 2,245,511 Discussions
  • 7,853,216 Comments

Discussions

IDE swallows system resources parsing project

Following on from my earlier post, attempting to parse the Linux kernel sources is consuming all of the CPU resources on a dual 8 core 2.5GHz Xeon Solaris 11.3 system with 64GB of RAM.  I had to kill the IDE once the system load average exceeded 20 and the IDE became unresponsive.

Comments

• zootle
    zootle Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2015

I tried loading the project in Studio12.4 (no patches) and while there were lack of memory warnings flashing up in the detailed view, the system load average and CPU associated with java remained sane.  The process RSS was reasonably constant at around 3235M.

Is the lack of memory error due to a limit on the JVM rather than the system?

• Valeriy Soldatov-Oracle
    Valeriy Soldatov-Oracle Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2015

If you uses 64-bit java, this limitation from <solarisstudio>/lib/solstudio/etc/solstudio.conf only. 32-bit JVM can't use 4G of memory.

• Valeriy Soldatov-Oracle
    Valeriy Soldatov-Oracle Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2015

Which way you uses in order to configure Linux Kernel sources in IDE?

• zootle
    zootle Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2015

Thanks for the replies Valeriy, I'll stick with this thread from now on.

I modified solstudio.conf to give the IDE 8G of memory.  This stopped the lack of memory warnings (the process RSS is now 5.5G) .  The system load average did go over the number of cores while parsing the project, but the IDE did not lock up this time.

Maybe the defaults should be higher for 64-bit systems?

To create the project I checked out the sources I am using (https://github.com/beagleboard/linux) and created a new C/C++/Fortran project with existing source.  The intention is to use the IDE to navigate the source files and git history, not to actually build them.

This discussion has been closed.