• 2,254,637 Discussions
  • 7,880,045 Comments

Discussions

Clarification on Patching Methods/Options

Lyxx
Lyxx Member Posts: 68
edited Jan 24, 2016 10:29AM in Database Upgrade

All-

I am little hesitant to ask such a basic question but I have tried to find answer online and on oracle support but could not get a clear picture. I apologies in advance if you think there is clear cut documentation link (which I missed) so please share with me.

Question I have is regarding Patching Options with minimum downtime- ( Golden Gate is out of scope as we don't have license).

I have tried to explain my understanding in below table, I will request you to correct me if I am wrong theoretically. I do plan to play with all these options but just wanted to make sure that I got it right at first place.

Also, I am aware about opatch online patching but not sure if any of the below patch[es] can be used that option.  I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Patch TypeIn Place / Out of Place
Single Instance RACStandby
CPU/PSU/BP (12.1.0.2.1 to 12.1.0.2.5) In-Place can be applied Online : I expect catbundle can be run online and it's not disruptiveOnline : No Need to shutdown instances, Not even for rolling fashion
Patchset release (12.1.0.2 to 12.1.0.3)Out of Place OnlyDowntime : Need to install a new set of binary + patch and then switch Oracle Home and restart instance?? : I am not sure if we can do this by rolling patches (switching binaries for one instance at a time)
Maintenance Releases (12.1 to 12.2)Out of Place OnlyDowntime : Need to install a new set of binary + patch and then switch instance?? : I am not sure if we can do this by rolling patches
Major Release (11g to 12c) Out of place OnlyDowntime : Need to install a new set of binary + patch and then switch instance  Downtime Standby can be used for both RAC and Single Instance to reduce downtime
Tagged:

Answers

• Pavan Kumar
    Pavan Kumar Member Posts: 11,904 Gold Crown
    edited Jan 23, 2016 1:57PM
    Downtime : Need to install a new set of binary + patch and then switch Oracle Home and restart instance
    Maintenance Releases (12.1 to 12.2)

Not required, you can apply patchsets on existing oracle homes (just make sure prior doing it on production test on test system for patching conflicts and issues  - to check for merging patches)

Online : No Need to shutdown instances, Not even for rolling fashion

Better to perform rolling

- HTH

- Pavan Kumar N

Lyxx
  • Srini Chavali-Oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Member Posts: 29,596 Blue Diamond
    edited Jan 24, 2016 10:29AM

Out of place upgrades are recommended to minimize downtimes and to make a rollback easier if deemed necessary. Certainly not required, but definitely recommended.

This discussion has been closed.