• 2,254,767 Discussions
  • 7,880,376 Comments

Discussions

ODBC connection failed after Oracle upgrade to 11g

user3477264
user3477264 Member Posts: 2
edited Feb 3, 2016 8:35AM in ODBC

I am running into a strange situation.

I use Microsoft Access 2013 to link to a table in my Oracle environment.  I have the 11.2.0 32 bit client installed.  Previously, I could link to our 10g databases without any issues.  After our production server was upgraded, I can no longer connect to the production database which is now 11g.  I am using the Oracle in OraClient 11g as the ODBC driver which still works fine for the the 10g databases, but I can no longer connect to the 11g database.  When I test the ODBC connection in Control Panel, I get a successful connection.  It appears that something is not working with MS Access 2013 after the upgrade.  I checked with a fellow co-worker, but they are no seeing the same issue.  I can ping the server with tnsping and get a successful reply.

Here is a screenshot of the error message:

ODBC-Fail.jpg

The driver is the SQORA32.DLL is from 4/2/2010. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Sdhamoth-Oracle
    Sdhamoth-Oracle Member Posts: 184 Employee
    edited Feb 2, 2016 10:37AM

May be the TNS information for your 11g database might not be updated in tnsnames.ora in your client ORACLE_HOME. Also make sure you update ODBC DSN with latest (11g database's) TNS service name or connection string in ODBC Data Source administration console(odbcad32).

• user3477264
    user3477264 Member Posts: 2
    edited Feb 3, 2016 8:35AM

Where is ORACLE_HOME set in the tnsnames.ora file?  I don't remember having this set before and I am able to connect to 10g databases without it.

In the ODBC DSN setup, I am able to run the 'Test Connection' and it works properly with the same username/password that is failing when I try to link to a table on the server through MS Access.  Everything shows that I am connecting to the Oracle server properly, but when try to get to a specific database/table then I am getting a security issue.

This discussion has been closed.