This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,565 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,824 Comments

Discussions

Problems installing javame SDK 8.2 ...

Serge Blais-Oracle
Serge Blais-Oracle Member Posts: 24 Employee
edited Feb 28, 2016 2:01AM in Java ME Embedded

Hi all,

I've been battling with this for 2 days, and I'm pretty sure it must be something stupid I am missing. I got the sdk installed, and netbeans 8.0.2 installed, to make sure I follow the documentation. But when I try to do an add plateform, netbeans can't find the any platforms. And the device-manager.log file he is pointing me to doesn't exist. So I figure I should be able to do an update-center request. So I start the update-center.exe application, only to get the following screen:

Anyone would have an idea what is happening?

Regards

Answers

• HarrySatt
    HarrySatt Member Posts: 26
    edited Feb 3, 2016 5:08AM

Hi

Which development platform are u using. (Windows or Linux) ? Which emdedded platform ( Raspberry PI, ... )

• Serge Blais-Oracle
    Serge Blais-Oracle Member Posts: 24 Employee
    edited Feb 3, 2016 10:15AM

The SDK is installed on Windows 7, the target embedded platform is Raspberry PI, but I never got to that point.

So I guess the question would be, once I have installed the java me 8.2 SDK (and not JDK, sorry...) I should be able to run "something" in there to validate that it is ok... At this time I have this:

1. the update-center in the SDK doesn't work, and I have no logs to look into.
    2. Netbeans (8.0.2) can't connect to the SDK, as it doesn't find any platform in it.

I got to do a connection from my Netbeans (8.1) into the raspberry pi. But to have a complete installation, I also need the SDK...

I hope this rambling is clear enough..

• HarrySatt
    HarrySatt Member Posts: 26
    edited Feb 4, 2016 7:38AM

Hi.

There are two things to do. One is to install the Java JDK on your machine. I did this for NetBeans.

Java ME SDK Downloads

and download and install the JDK ME on your Win7.

I used the Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B with the last NOOPS 1.5.0. Do all the stuff to install RASPIAN. Then use the browser to download and extract the Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.2 for Raspberry Pi Model B (ARM11/Linux)

Java ME Embedded - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

Extract that and but the files in the several folders underneath root (f.e /bin ).

run sudo usertest.sh to fire up the proxy.

On your Win7 NetBeans you can try a ME Sample project  ( like GPIO ) by issuing new project ...

Then use the device connection manager to set up your Raspberry connention.

Done.

Regards, Harald.

• Alexander Burdukov-Oracle
    Alexander Burdukov-Oracle Member Posts: 22
    edited Feb 28, 2016 2:01AM

1. From the picture attached it seems you have uninstalled JDK you specified during MESDK installation. You have 2 options here to fix this situation if you have valid JDK installed

- Reinstall MESDK, so you will able to define new JDK location during installation

- Fix it manually by specifying path to JDK at <MESDK Installation>/bin/java file

2. Update Center does not relate to platforms. It is utility to update MESDK itself or install additional packages.

3. You can install Java ME Runtime and start it on Raspberry Pi easily from MESDK (since 8.2 version):

1) Start Device Connections Manager (by double-clicking Device Manager icon in system tray or using "Manage Device Connections" menu item of Device Manager tray icon menu)

2) Press "Setup New Device" toolbar button in Device Connections Manager

3) Follow the wizard for Raspberry Pi.

This discussion has been closed.