This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,805 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

How do you start the Java ME 8.2 Emulator on Linux?

1b492ccd-b4ec-47b4-81a7-98b81f128396
edited Feb 28, 2016 1:33AM in Java ME Embedded

I just found your forum after I already posted my question to StackOverflow.  I think I may get a better response here, though.

Below is the content from that post, but first I'll explain my problem in a little more context.  I'm trying to simply start the Java ME 8.2 Emulator from the linux command line.  I also installed the Eclipse Java ME 8.2 plugins, created a project, etc.  I'm able to use the Java ME SDK 8.2 to create a MIDlet, compile my project, etc... it can seed all the default CLDC/MEEP Emulated Device configurations through eclipse.  I just can't start the emulator from the command line, nor from eclipse.   I'm eventually going to target a raspberry pi 2, but right now I just want to prove out a hello-world through the emulator.

The error is:

$> emulator -Xjam -Xdevice:EmbeddedDevice1

*** Error ***
Failed to connect to device 0!
Reason:
Emulator 0 terminated while waiting for it to register!

Here is the content of my cross-posted question:

I just downloaded and installed the Java ME platform SDK 8.2. I'm trying to start the emulator and it won't run. The error is:

<span class="typ">Java_ME_platform_SDK_8</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="lit">2</span><span class="pun">/</span><span class="pln">bin $</span><span class="pun">></span><span class="pln"> emulator </span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="typ">Xjam</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="typ">Xdevice</span><span class="pun">:</span><span class="typ">EmbeddedDevice1</span><span class="pln">  </span>
<span class="pln"></span><span class="pun">***</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">Error</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">***</span><span class="pln"> </span>
<span class="pln"></span><span class="typ">Failed</span><span class="pln"> to connect to device </span><span class="lit">0</span><span class="pun">!</span><span class="pln"> </span>
<span class="pln"></span><span class="typ">Reason</span><span class="pun">:</span><span class="pln"> </span>
<span class="pln"></span><span class="typ">Emulator</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="lit">0</span><span class="pln"> terminated </span><span class="kwd">while</span><span class="pln"> waiting </span><span class="kwd">for</span><span class="pln"> it to </span><span class="kwd">register</span><span class="pun">!</span>

I'm running on

<span class="typ">Linux</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="lit">2.6</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="lit">32</span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="lit">504.23</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="lit">4.el6.x86</span><span class="pln">_64 </span><span class="pun">#</span><span class="lit">1</span><span class="pln"> SMP x86_64 GNU</span><span class="pun">/</span><span class="typ">Linux</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">CentOS</span><span class="pln"> release </span><span class="lit">6.6</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="typ">Final</span><span class="pun">)</span>

I'm trying to follow Oracle's Using the Emulator guide, and it doesn't look like it should be difficult. It looks like should just install the SDK, then run the emulator as I did... it just doesn't work.

I also did the following:

• turned off my firewall
  • verified nothing was running on port 1299
  • verified my device-manager.object-registry.host=127.0.0.1
  • put the <span class="typ">Java_ME_platform_SDK_8</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="lit">2</span><span class="pun">/</span><span class="pln">bin</span> directory at the beginning of my path
  • set JAVA_HOME to my javamesdk_installdir

The Device Selector UI and the Device Connections Manager UI both start without a problem, and I'm able to see the pre-configured devices, like EmbeddedDevice1.

I also have a plain Java SDK installed on the machine

<span class="pln">java version </span><span class="str">"1.8.0_60"</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">Java</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="pln">TM</span><span class="pun">)</span><span class="pln"> SE </span><span class="typ">Runtime</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">Environment</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="pln">build </span><span class="lit">1.8</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="lit">0_60</span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="pln">b27</span><span class="pun">)</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">Java</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">HotSpot</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="pln">TM</span><span class="pun">)</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="lit">64</span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="typ">Bit</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">Server</span><span class="pln"> VM </span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="pln">build </span><span class="lit">25.60</span><span class="pun">-</span><span class="pln">b23</span><span class="pun">,</span><span class="pln"> mixed mode</span><span class="pun">)</span>

Thanks!!

-John

Tagged:

Answers

This discussion has been closed.