Forum Stats

  • 3,826,767 Users
  • 2,260,705 Discussions
  • 7,897,072 Comments

Discussions

Displaying Hebrew language in Java 7 on Windows 7

user13165547
user13165547 Member Posts: 1
edited May 3, 2016 8:11AM in Java 8 Questions

Hello all,

We have a java application that runs fine except on the combination of windows 7 and Java 7/8 where all Hebrew characters are displayed as squares (םםםםםםם)

Installing Java 6 instead of Java 7/8 resolves the problem without any other setting change. Once installing Java7 and higher the problem returns.

Hebrew Characters are displayed without any issue on other programs besides in JAVA.

On windows XP with Java 7/8 the application have no problem and displays Hebrew without any issue.

We tried all the combinations and various of settings changes without any success. (Including the Region settings in all combinations, Reinstalling fonts, Comparing Java font related files, Installing a fresh Windows 7 machine from scratch without any update or programs installed etc.)

Working with Java 6 is not possible cause the new version of our application requires Java 7.

Digging the internet didn't arise any solution.

Any suggestions ? Any Ideas ?

We're desperate

Thank you all 

Answers

  • #SamD
    #SamD Member Posts: 4
    edited Apr 1, 2016 8:49AM

    Hi user13165547,

    In Windows 7, use the control panel to navigate to Language Definitions, and add Hebrew.

    Also, try upgrading to the Ultimate edition of Windows 7, and then install the Hebrew Language Pack. Language options are limited in standard Windows 7.

    Best,

    Sam D.

  • Michael S Gantman
    Michael S Gantman Member Posts: 1
    edited May 3, 2016 8:11AM

    I haven't tried your combination, but one of the tricks that you can try is to convert your String that contains Hebrew (or any other language) into Unicode sequences. Try to send those sequences for display. I used similar trick long time ago when browsers had an issue displaying non-latin languages in drop-down boxes. If I sent a unicode sequence instead of actual text it worked properly. But that was a long time ago. Anyway instead of string "שלום" send string "\u05e9\u05dc\u05d5\u05dd" which is unicode representation of "שלום". If that works then I would suggest to use a small Open Source library that converts any String into its unicode representation and vise-versa. Here is the link to an article about the library with limks to the library on maven central and ti the sources as well in github: . See the section titled "String Unicode converter".

    I hope this helps.