• 3,826,671 Users
  • 2,260,688 Discussions
  • 7,897,047 Comments

Discussions

Is spring @RequestBody support type of a class

2875841 Member Posts: 43
edited Mar 9, 2016 11:49AM in New To Java

Hi All,

I have to execute a method based on different scenario.But the VO passing each time will be different.So how can i configure this in Spring

I have to execute method doSomeAction(@RequestBody SubVOA subVOA)

class mainVO{

//main attributes

}

class subVoA extends mainVO{

//some attributes

}

class subVoB extends mainVO{

//some attributes

}

how its  possible to configure doSomeAction to accept both subVoA and subVoB. if not any other solution to do this

Answers

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Mar 9, 2016 5:34AM

Once again, this is what polymorphism can do for you - see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/polymorphism.html

If you pass an object that is an instantiation of mainVO, you may call a method that is implemented in this class. But if you pass an object that belongs to either subVoA or subVoB (better start class' names with a capital letter - hence, MainVO, SubVoA, SubVoB) and you override the method's implementation in these classes, it will call the method that belongs to the appropriate class. No need to do anything extra.

2875841 Member Posts: 43
    edited Mar 9, 2016 5:48AM

Thank you for your reply.

I have set SubVO object from client side and  have to call this method from client side .SO can i instantiate MainVO here.

Can you please explain it more clearly.

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Mar 9, 2016 5:52AM

If you have an object instantiated, just call its method.

If you need to find out what object (of what class) you have, you can use the reflection API, in particular instanceof to find that out - see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/541749/how-to-determine-an-objects-class-in-java

• Unknown
    edited Mar 9, 2016 11:49AM
    I have set SubVO object from client side and  have to call this method from client side .SO can i instantiate MainVO here.
    Can you please explain it more clearly.

The Java Tutorials explains that, and more, 'clearly' and has working example code.

There are no shortcuts.

Creating instances and using nested classes is BASIC functionality in Java.

You have to LEARN what functionality exists and HOW to use it BEFORE you start writing code.

Read the trails at the link you were given first and try the examples those lessons contain.

The forums are not really suitable for trying to teach/train you in Java. There are plenty of web sites, articles and books on the web that you can find/use to learn Java basics. But I suggest you start with the Java Tutorials.

This discussion has been closed.