Forum Stats

• 3,839,983 Users
  • 2,262,556 Discussions
  • 7,901,116 Comments

Discussions

Software in Silicon Cloud (SWIS): VM access via desktop/xterm session - na action or output

2908350 Member Posts: 1

Hi to All,

I've got my access to to SWIS https://swisdev.oracle.com/ , created my test virtual machine instances, but I cannot access them in any way - tried "start a desktop session" and "start a xterm session" logged in through various browsers both windows 8 and linux , but there is no output apart from popup "starting xterm session" with the name of the machine and green check . I read the SwinSi-guide.pdf and even install java 1.6 - no luck. What do I do wrong? any hints appreciated :-)

best regards

PiotrAF

Best Answer

• lars-Oracle
    lars-Oracle Member Posts: 2
    edited Mar 15, 2016 5:57PM Answer ✓

We have identified and fixed a problem in the SiSC lab that would have kept several users from starting an xterm or desktop session.

The most successful software to use on your client systems is:

Windows 7, Firefox 44.0.2, Java 1.8.0_73

Although a unix based client can be used it needs to run a 32 bit OS. The SGD that will run on your unix client is only available in a 32 bit version.

FWIW, Piotr has tried to use Windows 8 and it failed. We will test Windows 10 this evening.

Regards-

lars

Answers

• Yoda-Oracle
    Yoda-Oracle Member Posts: 5 Employee
    edited Mar 15, 2016 10:41AM

Hi,

Sorry that you are having access problems with SWiSDev. Can you please email [email protected] with the following information

• What is the browser you are using?
    • What version of Java (w/ build number) you tried?
    • Are you on 32 or 64 bit version of OS (Windows or Linux)
    • Is Java enabled on your browser? See if this page works: Verify Java Version
    • What is the name of your VM?

We are also working on SSH access to the VMs we will help you with this once you contact us.

Thanks

Angelo

• lars-Oracle
    edited Mar 15, 2016 5:57PM Answer ✓

We have identified and fixed a problem in the SiSC lab that would have kept several users from starting an xterm or desktop session.

The most successful software to use on your client systems is:

Windows 7, Firefox 44.0.2, Java 1.8.0_73

Although a unix based client can be used it needs to run a 32 bit OS. The SGD that will run on your unix client is only available in a 32 bit version.

FWIW, Piotr has tried to use Windows 8 and it failed. We will test Windows 10 this evening.

Regards-

lars

• lars-Oracle
    edited Mar 16, 2016 1:09AM

This evening I verified Windows 10 also can be used:

Windows 10 Pro

Firefox 44.0.2

java 8 update 73 (1.8.0_73-b02)

lars