• 7,852,847 Comments

Discussions

JRE Upgrade 1.8 - client application (browser) compatibility

928518 Member Posts: 47
edited June 2016 in New To Java

Answers

• Unknown
    edited June 2016
    I have a GWT web application hosted on the Tomcat application server. The users of the application access the application from their windows desktop browsers. 

Ok - and depending on the version of Windows that brings into play javascript, security and privilege issues. Generally browsers are configured to execute particular versions of JRE or Javascript.

To do so, the operational staff has setup a couple of client machines where they have installed JRE version 1.8.xx and they are now asking the users to check all the applications from the browser on these client machines.

So test your app. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I have been informed by another staff member that this JRE compatibility check is not required for all the applications, because most of the applications use their own JREs installation in a subfolder. These applications need not to be tested as they will continue to use exactly that private JRE, whatever version the standard JRE is (to be upgraded on the client machine).

Sadly your other 'staff member' is misinformed. Besides we have no way of knowing if your app uses its own JRE, is launched by WebStart or Java script.

I am not sure if the above statement is indeed correct. My understanding is that the client access to the application might be effected if there is a change in the standard JRE on the client machine. But my point is how can I fool-proof this understanding? One way is to still go-ahead and test the application via the client browser where the JRE is upgraded, but I need to be sure if it is indeed required or perhaps what another staff member is saying makes sense?

You need to be sure? That saddens me.

You MUST ALWAYS test client apps in such conditions. What someone 'thinks' or what someones 'understanding' is is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT.

The ONLY way to know if an app works properly in any given environment is to test it in that environment.

You pretty much already knew that didn't you? I mean if later the app didn't work properly do you REALLY think you boss would accept your excuse that someone on the forums told you it wasn't necessary to test?

Sometimes the BEST solution is to just use common sense.

This discussion has been closed.