Forum Stats

• 3,759,503 Users
  • 2,251,554 Discussions
  • 7,870,681 Comments

Discussions

Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 crashes Oracle Plugin

939510 Member Posts: 1

I just installed Update 3 for Visual Studio 2015. When I start it, I get a notification that the Oracle Developer Tools crashed.

Anyone else having this problem?

John Greenstreeta840c185-014a-4787-9c4a-434aa2326599

Answers

3267811 Member Posts: 1
    edited Jun 29, 2016 11:59PM

Yup, mine is dead as well currently trying to find out what has died, seems to be something for me anyway about not being able to find some Oracle dll's which are not correctly registered in the GAC.

Looks like I am missing files but I could have sworn this was working before I installed Update 3

CreateInstance failed for package [Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0, Version=4.121.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0, Version=4.121.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0, Version=4.121.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName) at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName) Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll Running under executable C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe --- A detailed error log follows. === Pre-bind state information === LOG: DisplayName = Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0, Version=4.121.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342, processorArchitecture=x86 (Fully-specified)

The rest of the log is just log entries attempting to download the dll from various locations.

John Greenstreet
  • Koen van der Linden
    Koen van der Linden Member Posts: 1
    edited Jul 7, 2016 6:10AM

I reinstalled the plugin and problem was gone.

Check if you have the file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Developer Tools for VS2015\odt\Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0.dll

If it's there user JustDecompile and check if all references in that dll are present. May be this will help you a bit.

I do have the issue that the User-Defined Types are not shown in the developer tool. The connection to Oracle database is working fine however.

3277839 Member Posts: 1
    edited Jul 18, 2016 7:18AM

When is Oracle going to fix this? Or this there some version which is compatible with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3? Here are all the versions: Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Windows Downloads

John Greenstreet
  • John Greenstreet
    John Greenstreet Member Posts: 3
    edited Sep 19, 2016 4:03PM

I had exactly the same problem so I tried installing the latest Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 (12.1.0.2.4) and now the "CreateInstance failed" problem's gone and unlike before my existing projects compile without errors. However, now when I try to open an Entity Framework model (.edmx) XML file I get an "Error 175: The ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client' is either not registered in the machine or application config file or could not be loaded." I've tried everything in the latest README file but nothing seems to work.

Everything worked perfectly before I updated VS 2015 from Update 2 to Update 3. I hope someone can fix this otherwise I'm going to have to convert everything to use nHibernate or some other ORM. This is just too frustrating that everything breaks with every single Visual Studio update.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,929 Employee
    edited Sep 24, 2016 4:43PM

Hi all, sorry about the frustration. You need to deinstall/reinstall ODT after a Visual Studio update. And Microsoft is using a diffferent development model and are rolling a lot more changes into their updates than they used to prior to VS 2015 (new features etc) so that odds of something breaking are higher. So unless you have a need to be on the update, I would recommend staying on update 2 for a while.

If you are currently experiencing errors after upgrading to update 3 please try the following:

1) Uninstall Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio (ODT)

2) Close Visual Studio

3) Reinstall ODT

4) If this does not fix the problem uninstall ODT again

5) if you were using the MSI installed version of ODT,  try the ODAC version:

Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Windows Downloads

If any of the above fixed your problem, post here and let us know.

If you are still having the problem, send me an email at christian (dot) shay (at) oracle.com so I may collect more information from your system.

• d64e1621-5837-4368-bfd4-54b8fe0a55d3
    edited Oct 26, 2016 5:13PM

I may have found a solution for this issue.  I tried all of the other workarounds (reinstalling several times, running the fix in the readme, etc) but none of those worked. 

I got it to work by adding all of the .dlls in C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Developer Tools for VS2015\odt to the gac.  It seems like visual studio simply isn't able to find these when it needs them.  I tried just adding the location to my path environment variable but that didn't work.  There may just be a subset of .dlls that needs to be registered but I didn't take the time to try them one by after I registered Oracle.VsDevTools.14.0.dll and the visual studio activity log then said a different .dll was missing.

a840c185-014a-4787-9c4a-434aa2326599
  • a840c185-014a-4787-9c4a-434aa2326599
    edited Nov 14, 2016 1:15PM

I confirm installing all the .dlls in C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Developer Tools for VS2015\odt to the gac worked for me too, the only dll I couldn't register was "oravs12w.dll" for those wondering how to make this process follow these steps:

1. Copy the BizTalk assembly to your local computer into a folder.
    2. Start Visual Studio Command Prompt.
    3. Type the following command:gacutil.exe /if "< path to the assembly .dll file >"This installs the assembly to the GAC, overwriting any existing assembly that has the same assembly name.

Don't forget to open the visual studio command prompt as administrator.

d64e1621-5837-4368-bfd4-54b8fe0a55d3

This discussion has been closed.