Forum Stats

• 3,769,403 Users
  • 2,252,961 Discussions
  • 7,875,020 Comments

Discussions

Installation of 12c alongside existing installation of 11gR2 - Oracle base,s/w location, db file loc

Jibba Jabba
Jibba Jabba Member Posts: 319
edited Jul 26, 2016 7:21PM in Database Installation

Hi

My existing installation of 11gR2 is in the following directory:

c:/oracleee/

so that the following paths to oracle exists:

C:\oracleee\product\11.2.0\...

C:\oracleee\oradata\orcl

etc.

The instance and database names are orcl/ORCL.

My questions are:

1. can I/should I use the same Oracle base directory? i.e. c:/oracleee? Or create a new one?

2. if I use teh same oracle base, can I specify the software location as C:\oracleee\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1? i.e. so that 11.2.0 and 12.1.0 both sit under oracleee/product?

3. can I use the same oradata location? i.e. C:\oracleee\oradata because under oradata there is a directory called orcl which corresponds to the instance/database name

4. would I then set the global database name to something like orcl12?

My main concern is I've read people saying when installing multiple versions, they can all sit in teh same oracle base, but inside my oracle base (c:oracleee) are teh following directories:

$ >ls "C:\oracleee"

admin  cfgtoollogs  checkpoints  diag  flash_recovery_area  oradata  product

So I'm concerned that if I install 12c into the same oracle base, is it going to work? I don't want to mess up my existing installation of 11g. Is creating a new oracle base e.g. c:oracleee12 a better way to do this?

One final question is regarding the container database...this is new in 12c..will I create difficulties for myself if I create teh db as a container db?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,525 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 26, 2016 10:18AM Accepted Answer

423755 wrote:

Hi

etc.

My questions are:
    1. can I/should I use the same Oracle base directory? i.e. c:/oracleee? Or create a new one?

1 - In a well-defined system, there IS only one ORACLE_BASE.  Your ORACLE_BASE is not the default for a windows system.  Typically, it would be <drive>:\app\oracle.  I'm not sure what you thought you were accomplishing by not using the default structure, but in the end I don't see any operational problems.

I would not place your data files (..\oradata) under ORACLE_BASE.  I put them on a completely different mount point/file system.  But again there is no operational conflict with what you have there.

2. if I use teh same oracle base, can I specify the software location as C:\oracleee\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1? i.e. so that 11.2.0 and 12.1.0 both sit under oracleee/product?

That's how it's usually done.

I don't have multiple versions on any of my windows systems (I have Windows and Linux). But I will soon. Currently I have

E:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0.4\dbhome_1

When I get ready to upgrade that system to 12c (in the next few months) I will make the new home

E:\app\oracle\product\12.1.0.2\dbhome_1

3. can I use the same oradata location? i.e. C:\oracleee\oradata because under oradata there is a directory called orcl which corresponds to the instance/database name

Why not? It's just a parent directory.  You have subdirectories under that for each database.  What's the problem?

The global database name has nothing to do with your directory structure or where ORACLE_BASE or ORACLE_HOME are located.

My main concern is I've read people saying when installing multiple versions, they can all sit in teh same oracle base, but inside my oracle base (c:oracleee) are teh following directories:

And the problem with that is ... ??? That is perfectly normal.  And if you drill down into some of those, like 'admin', you'll see that they get subdirectories that are database-specific.  There is no collision.

(btw, 'ls' is a *nix command, but your directory structure is Windows.  Are you using PowerShell?)

So I'm concerned that if I install 12c into the same oracle base, is it going to work? I don't want to mess up my existing installation of 11g.  Is creating a new oracle base e.g. c:oracleee12 a better way to do this?

Having multiple ORACLE_HOMEs under one ORCLE_BASE is expected.  That's what ORACLE_BASE is for.  The only thing would do differently from above is put my data (oradata) in a separate mount point

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,525 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 26, 2016 10:18AM Accepted Answer

423755 wrote:

Hi

etc.

My questions are:

1 - In a well-defined system, there IS only one ORACLE_BASE.  Your ORACLE_BASE is not the default for a windows system.  Typically, it would be <drive>:\app\oracle.  I'm not sure what you thought you were accomplishing by not using the default structure, but in the end I don't see any operational problems.

I would not place your data files (..\oradata) under ORACLE_BASE.  I put them on a completely different mount point/file system.  But again there is no operational conflict with what you have there.

That's how it's usually done.

I don't have multiple versions on any of my windows systems (I have Windows and Linux). But I will soon. Currently I have

E:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0.4\dbhome_1

When I get ready to upgrade that system to 12c (in the next few months) I will make the new home

E:\app\oracle\product\12.1.0.2\dbhome_1

Why not? It's just a parent directory.  You have subdirectories under that for each database.  What's the problem?

The global database name has nothing to do with your directory structure or where ORACLE_BASE or ORACLE_HOME are located.

And the problem with that is ... ??? That is perfectly normal.  And if you drill down into some of those, like 'admin', you'll see that they get subdirectories that are database-specific.  There is no collision.

(btw, 'ls' is a *nix command, but your directory structure is Windows.  Are you using PowerShell?)

So I'm concerned that if I install 12c into the same oracle base, is it going to work? I don't want to mess up my existing installation of 11g.  Is creating a new oracle base e.g. c:oracleee12 a better way to do this?

Having multiple ORACLE_HOMEs under one ORCLE_BASE is expected.  That's what ORACLE_BASE is for.  The only thing would do differently from above is put my data (oradata) in a separate mount point

• top.gun
    top.gun Member Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 26, 2016 11:23AM

1. Use the same oracle_base. you can;t have multiple ones anyway.

2. yes, you want both homes to be in the same oracle_base.

3. use any location you want.

4. set it to <sid>\<domain>, or just <sid> is ok too.

5. reuse the same oracle_base.

6. don;t create a container if you have no reason to create PDBs.

Jibba Jabba
  • Jibba Jabba
    edited Jul 26, 2016 7:19PM

Thanks very much Ed.

• Jibba Jabba
    edited Jul 26, 2016 7:21PM

Thanks very much top.gun.

This discussion has been closed.