- 382.3K All Categories
- 2.1K Data
- 209 Big Data Appliance
- 1.9K Data Science
- 447.9K Databases
- 220.9K General Database Discussions
- 25 Multilingual Engine
- 522 MySQL Community Space
- 465 NoSQL Database
- 7.8K Oracle Database Express Edition (XE)
- 2.9K ORDS, SODA & JSON in the Database
- 492 SQLcl
- 3.9K SQL Developer Data Modeler
- 186.1K SQL & PL/SQL
- 21K SQL Developer
- 293.3K Development
- 7 Developer Projects
- 128 Programming Languages
- 290K Development Tools
- 96 DevOps
- 3K QA/Testing
- 645.6K Java
- 24 Java Learning Subscription
- 36.9K Database Connectivity
- 150 Java Community Process
- 104 Java 25
- 22.1K Java APIs
- 137.9K Java Development Tools
- 165.3K Java EE (Java Enterprise Edition)
- 16 Java Essentials
- 144 Java 8 Questions
- 85.9K Java Programming
- 79 Java Puzzle Ball
- 65.1K New To Java
- 1.7K Training / Learning / Certification
- 13.8K Java HotSpot Virtual Machine
- 94.2K Java SE
- 13.8K Java Security
- 198 Java User Groups
- 264 LiveLabs
- 36 Workshops
- 10.2K Software
- 6.7K Berkeley DB Family
- 3.5K JHeadstart
- 5.8K Other Languages
- 2.3K Chinese
- 166 Deutsche Oracle Community
- 1.2K Español
- 1.9K Japanese
- 229 Portuguese
Installation of 12c alongside existing installation of 11gR2 - Oracle base,s/w location, db file loc
My existing installation of 11gR2 is in the following directory:
so that the following paths to oracle exists:
The instance and database names are orcl/ORCL.
My questions are:
1. can I/should I use the same Oracle base directory? i.e. c:/oracleee? Or create a new one?
2. if I use teh same oracle base, can I specify the software location as C:\oracleee\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1? i.e. so that 11.2.0 and 12.1.0 both sit under oracleee/product?
3. can I use the same oradata location? i.e. C:\oracleee\oradata because under oradata there is a directory called orcl which corresponds to the instance/database name
4. would I then set the global database name to something like orcl12?
My main concern is I've read people saying when installing multiple versions, they can all sit in teh same oracle base, but inside my oracle base (c:oracleee) are teh following directories:
$ >ls "C:\oracleee"
admin cfgtoollogs checkpoints diag flash_recovery_area oradata product
So I'm concerned that if I install 12c into the same oracle base, is it going to work? I don't want to mess up my existing installation of 11g. Is creating a new oracle base e.g. c:oracleee12 a better way to do this?
One final question is regarding the container database...this is new in 12c..will I create difficulties for myself if I create teh db as a container db?
Thanks a lot in advance.