Forum Stats

• 3,853,900 Users
  • 2,264,290 Discussions
  • 7,905,500 Comments

Discussions

Any open-source tools to create transparent (alpha channel) videos for javafx ?

Marcello
Marcello Member Posts: 116
edited Aug 9, 2016 2:25AM in JavaFX 2.0 and Later

According to this thread

it is supposed to be possible to create flv videos with alpha channels using e.g. Adobe AfterEffects. are there any opensource tools available to achieve this ?

Also I would like to use some stock videos e.g. from videohive.net with alpha channel, but according to the thread from above there are some preconditions for these videos:

[code]

The tricks involved were:

- The video format used needed to be a VP6 encoded FLV with alpha channel enabled (h.264 doesn't support alpha channel encoding).

- The video had to be produced with an alpha channel showing through parts of it.

- Care needed to be maintained during the video production to ensure alpha encoding formats were the only ones used for intermediate saves (e.g. uncompressed avi with alpha channel encoding of VP6 with alpha channel encoding).

[/code]

I am not sure whether the videos from videohive.net are fullfilling these conditions ?

Are there any improvements or simplifications in javafx for videos with alphachannel support since then ?

Answers

• jsmith
    jsmith Member Posts: 2,856
    edited Aug 4, 2016 1:49PM

> it is supposed to be possible to create flv videos with alpha channels using e.g. Adobe AfterEffects. are there any opensource tools available to achieve this ?

I don't know about open source vp6 encoders, I guess you would need to do some research to find out: hint try google vp6 encoder.

vp6 may have had some patents or licensing issues on the encoding portion when it came out, which may have prevented the creation of open source encoding libraries using it (I'm not sure if that was or still is the case).

brightcove zencoder is an online trancoding service which can transcode to vp6:

https://app.zencoder.com/docs/faq/codecs-and-formats

Also encoding.com:

http://www.encoding.com/formats/

You could try that, bright cove is not open source and is a paid service (free trial).

Google bought on2 which was producing a vp6 encoder, then google stopped supporting vp6 encoding:

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/forum/#!topic/webm-discuss/WMXRi-P-EHQ

> I am not sure whether the videos from videohive.net are fullfilling these conditions ?

Unlikely, VP6 is a very uncommon video encoding, nowadays.

VP8 and h264 encodings are more common.

> Are there any improvements or simplifications in javafx for videos with alphachannel support since then ?

No.

• Marcello
    Marcello Member Posts: 116
    edited Aug 9, 2016 2:25AM

Thanks Mr Smith

This is too "tricky" then for me, although this feature (playing transparent videos) would be very interesting for my project, maybe in a later java-release this will (easier) possible.

This discussion has been closed.