Forum Stats

• 3,875,457 Users
  • 2,266,916 Discussions
  • 7,912,219 Comments

Discussions

How can I enable Event type 'JavaFX Pulse' in my recordings?

user7436562
user7436562 Member Posts: 1
edited Aug 19, 2016 7:21AM in Java Mission Control

I installed the JavaFX plugin in JMC 5.5.0 (M5.5.0-108, 165303)

in order to profile a JavaFX application

(using Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (25.92-b14) for windows-x86 JRE (1.8.0_92-b14), built on Mar 31 2016 21:09:21 by "java_re" with MS VC++ 10.0 (VS2010)).

When I open the recording with JMC and click on the JavaFX tab I see no data there.

It tells me "Event type 'JavaFX Pulse' is not enabled in this recording".

How can I enable them?

Answers

• Hirt-Oracle
    Hirt-Oracle Member Posts: 268
    edited Aug 19, 2016 7:13AM

All you should need to do is to enable the JavaFX events in your template.enablefx.png

• Klara Ward, Java Mission Control Dev-Oracle
    edited Aug 19, 2016 7:21AM

You need the enable the events when you create the recording, either by connecting to a JavaFX application, opening the Start Flight Recording... wizard and clicking next twice to get to the view where you can enable individual event types. If you are connected to a JavaFX application, running on 8u40 or above (I think that's when they added the JavaFX events), you should see a JavaFx node in the tree.

If you start from command line, you need the JavaFX events enabled in the JFC config file that was used to start the recording, this you do by either exporting a config from JMC, or hacking the xml manually to add:

<producer uri="http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javafx/index.html/">

<event path="javafx/pulse">

<setting name="enabled">true</setting>

</event>

<event path="javafx/input">

<setting name="enabled">true</setting>

</event>

</producer>

The standard JFC files are located under JDK/jre/lib/jfr

See https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/troubleshoot/tooldescr004.html

on how to start a flight recording from command line, use the settings option to point to your new JFC file.

This discussion has been closed.