Forum Stats

• 3,733,968 Users
  • 2,246,850 Discussions
  • 7,856,955 Comments

Discussions

Data Modeler extreme slowdown loading design

Jeffrey Kemp
Jeffrey Kemp Member Posts: 193 Red Ribbon

I just upgraded from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5 and now it takes ages to load my data model design. The progress bar sits at about the 40% mark for about 10 minutes.

(In case it's relevant: I had a problem where my domains did not get migrated, so I had to copy the defaultdomains.xml file across to the new installation manually. Unfortunately when I open the data model, all the domains have been removed from all the columns throughout my data model. It's going to take ages to put them all back on again )

I tried it in 4.1.3 again and that's slow too, so something in the upgrade has done something to the data model files.

Unfortunately this has ruined SQL Developer's data modeler for me, as I've just started build on a new large application and was using data modeler extensively. That'll teach me to take regular backups of everything

Tagged:

Answers

• Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,329 Employee
    edited October 2016
    I had a problem where my domains did not get migrated, so I had to copy the defaultdomains.xml file across to the new installation manually

"Preferences>Data Modeler>Default system Data types directory" - if that preference is set it'll be migrated and you won't have problems with domains.

all the domains have been removed from all the columns throughout my data model. It's going to take ages to put them all back on again

They will gone if you save the model with missing domains - but that also probably won't vanish your settings if there are no changes in the model - only changed objects are saved in save operation.

it takes ages to load my data model design. The progress bar sits at about the 40% mark for about 10 minutes

If the design is large and CPU usage is >80% then probably it's problem with memory settings:

1) check product.conf file in directory C:\Users\[win_user]\AppData\Roaming\datamodeler\4.1.5 - that's on my Win7 machine

if memory settings are commented out as it's below

# AddVMOption -Xmx800m

# Add32VMOption -Xmx800m

# Add64VMOption -Xmx800m

then

2) check file  datamodeler.conf in datamodeler\datamodeler\bin directory of your DM installation

Well you wrote it's too slow with 4.1.3 - then probably problem is somewhere else

Philip

• Jeffrey Kemp
    edited October 2016

An update to this question. It appears the upgrade has really stuffed everything up. Both 4.1.5 and 4.1.3 instances of SQL Developer are now very slow. CPU usage is 80%-100% for 3-5 seconds on every keystroke in the SQL Editor, for example. This only happens if I have a data model loaded. If I close and re-open SQL Developer, performance is fine until I load a data model.

• Jeffrey Kemp
    edited October 2016

I don't have any of those files on my system.

• Jeffrey Kemp
    edited October 2016

Gah... somehow, my data model is now completely empty... no tables, no diagrams, nothing except for my domains.

I've had it with this thing. I think I need to go home and have a sleep and then decide whether to pursue this further or not.

This discussion has been closed.