• 2,264,379 Discussions
  • 7,905,721 Comments

Discussions

Oracle commitment to JavaFX?

JoseHeitor
JoseHeitor Member Posts: 4
edited Nov 5, 2016 4:55AM in JavaFX 2.0 and Later

Hi,

Our team is about to embark on a 3-4 year Point-Of-Sale system upgrade/redevelopment project, and we have identified JavaFX as the most appropriate technology for the GUI of the POS terminal component. The product is then anticipated to service customers in the industry for another 10-15 years.

I would like to know how to contact someone from Oracle, in JavaFX's steering comity, in order to get some feedback into Oracle's commitment to support and actively maintain and develop the JavaFX technology for the next 10-20 years?

Would also appreciate links to any published resources that will help us gain insight into this matter...

Thanks,

Jose

JoseHeitor

Best Answer

• Manius
    Manius Member Posts: 29
    edited Oct 29, 2016 7:44PM Answer ✓

It's hard to get anything like that for any product.  Actually Oracle is funny, because any written statement of this nature will always include the lawyer's fine print section at the end where it explicitly states things like "This document's contents do not represent a commitment to provide any product or service."  (I know, because I've seen this for another product of theirs.)  So any corporate "commitment" IMO is useless. 

10-20 years is a long time in IT.  But the fact is that JFX is part of the Java 8 (and 9) SDKs.  Java 9's end of life (end of support) can be guessed at based on past versions, which as you can see go far into the future:

Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap*

Major
    Release
    GA DatePremier Support
    Until**
    Extended Support
    Until**
    Sustaining
    Support**

5.0May 2004May 2011May 2015Indefinite

6Dec 2006Dec 2015Dec 2018Indefinite

7Jul 2011Jul 2019Jul 2022Indefinite

8Mar 2014Mar 2022Mar 2025Indefinite

Also, there's another thread (probably more) down below where this was already addressed: Oracle is still committed to JavaFX and it will still be around for a while

JoseHeitor

Answers

• Manius
    Manius Member Posts: 29
    edited Oct 29, 2016 7:44PM Answer ✓

It's hard to get anything like that for any product.  Actually Oracle is funny, because any written statement of this nature will always include the lawyer's fine print section at the end where it explicitly states things like "This document's contents do not represent a commitment to provide any product or service."  (I know, because I've seen this for another product of theirs.)  So any corporate "commitment" IMO is useless. 

10-20 years is a long time in IT.  But the fact is that JFX is part of the Java 8 (and 9) SDKs.  Java 9's end of life (end of support) can be guessed at based on past versions, which as you can see go far into the future:

Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap*

Major
    Release
    GA DatePremier Support
    Until**
    Extended Support
    Until**
    Sustaining
    Support**

5.0May 2004May 2011May 2015Indefinite

6Dec 2006Dec 2015Dec 2018Indefinite

7Jul 2011Jul 2019Jul 2022Indefinite

8Mar 2014Mar 2022Mar 2025Indefinite

Also, there's another thread (probably more) down below where this was already addressed: Oracle is still committed to JavaFX and it will still be around for a while

JoseHeitor
This discussion has been closed.