• 3,768,260 Users
  • 2,252,769 Discussions
  • 7,874,508 Comments

Discussions

Oracle 11g Installation for Windows 8

3331783 Member Posts: 4
edited Oct 22, 2016 11:49AM in Database Installation

Hello all,

I have been having issues installing Oracle 11g R2 on my laptop which runs on Windows 8. I have downloaded the files that contained the 2 zipped folders and was able to pull up the installation window properly. For Step 1, I ignore that email portion. For Step 2 installation option, I choose "install database software only." For Step 3 grid installation options, I choose "single instance database installation." For step 4, I choose English as my primary language. For Step 5, I choose Enterprise Edition because that is what my college professor told us to choose. Step 6, which is installation location, is where I run into my issue. It displays the Oracle Base and Software Location. However, whenever I click on "browse" or try to type something in, as soon as I hit next, the window just automatically closes on me. I'm not sure if it's a compatibility issue with Windows 8, or if there's something I'm totally missing here. I need help asap, please.

Thank you,

Darnell

Arun_Sankar

Answers

• AndrewSayer
    AndrewSayer Member Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown
    edited Oct 19, 2016 5:48PM

Are you following the documented installation guide and taking note of the specifics for windows?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47798/toc.htm

Did you notice, for e.g.

4.1.1 Installation Consideration on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Later

On Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and later versions command prompts should be opened with Administrator privileges

edited Oct 19, 2016 6:15PM

I read through it and everything seems to be up to par with what the installation guide states. I'm not particularly sure what else the issue could be because I have had other colleagues who were successful in downloading 11g R2 onto their Windows 8 platform. My issue is with the Oracle Base and Software Location. I'm not sure what alternatives I should be typing there.

• AndrewSayer
    edited Oct 19, 2016 6:25PM
    3331783 wrote:I read through it and everything seems to be up to par with what the installation guide states. I'm not particularly sure what else the issue could be because I have had other colleagues who were successful in downloading 11g R2 onto their Windows 8 platform. My issue is with the Oracle Base and Software Location. I'm not sure what alternatives I should be typing there.

Why not leave it to the default that the installer has chosen for you?

edited Oct 19, 2016 6:29PM

I did leave it at the default. However, when I click on the next button to proceed with the installation process, the entire installation window closes down on me. I've reopened it multiple times and left everything as is, but it keeps wanting to close down on me. I can't seem to determine why.

• AndrewSayer
    edited Oct 19, 2016 6:41PM

Are you running the installer as an administrator? Have you checked the installation logs?

F.3 Reviewing the Log of an Installation Session

During an installation, Oracle Universal Installer records all the actions that it performs in a log file. If you encounter problems during the installation, review the log file for information about possible causes of the problem. By default, the log files are located in the following directory:

SYSTEM_DRIVE:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs 

Log filenames from interactive installations take the form:

installActionsdate_time.log oraInstalldate_time.err oraInstalldate_time.out 

For example, if an interactive installation occurred at 9:00:56 a.m. on October 14, 2005, the log file would be named:

installActions2005-10-14_09-00-56AM.log 
    Arun_Sankar
    edited Oct 19, 2016 6:57PM

Where do I locate the log file?

• AndrewSayer
    edited Oct 19, 2016 7:00PM

I quoted the relevant piece of the documentation for you in the previous post, again:

F.3 Reviewing the Log of an Installation Session

During an installation, Oracle Universal Installer records all the actions that it performs in a log file. If you encounter problems during the installation, review the log file for information about possible causes of the problem. By default, the log files are located in the following directory:

SYSTEM_DRIVE:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs 

Log filenames from interactive installations take the form:

installActionsdate_time.log oraInstalldate_time.err oraInstalldate_time.out 

For example, if an interactive installation occurred at 9:00:56 a.m. on October 14, 2005, the log file would be named:

installActions2005-10-14_09-00-56AM.log 

As you're using windows, this most likely translates to:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs\

Check the last few lines of the .log file and anything in the .err file.

• PKR
    PKR Member Posts: 423 Silver Badge
    edited Oct 20, 2016 2:48AM

Hi,

1) Is it Win OS 64 bit or 32 bit?

2)  is it Windows 8 - Pro ?

3) Oracle Database for 32-bit Windows is supported only, Windows 8 - Pro and Enterprise editions where as Oracle Database for Windows x64 is supported only the Windows 8 x64 - Pro and Enterprise editions

• JohnWatson2
    JohnWatson2 Member Posts: 4,327 Silver Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 3:04AM

Support is not an issue: I very much doubt that 3331783 has bought a licence for this installation.

Release 11.2 will run fine on Windows 8 home editions.

• PKR
    PKR Member Posts: 423 Silver Badge
    edited Oct 20, 2016 4:17AM

Hi John,

i agree with it..license issues.

Release 11.2 will run fine on Windows 8 home editions.

. but see installations Guide says

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47798/reqs.htm#NTDBI2697

2.2 Oracle Database Software Requirements

This discussion has been closed.