• 2,252,961 Discussions
  • 7,875,015 Comments

Discussions

need to buy a laptop for training and testing purpose for me

Makkina Srikanth
Makkina Srikanth Member Posts: 139
edited Oct 21, 2016 12:09PM in General Database Discussions

Dear Frnds ,

I'm core dba  . im focus on future (RAC,APPS,CLOUD,bigdata) i  need train myself  . so i need buy a laptop

so presntly im thinking about one laptop with bellow configration,

Intel Core I7 6500U/ 8GB RAM/ 500GB HDD / NO ODD/14" HD Screen/ Webcam/wifi/bluetooth/ 2GB nvidia 920 graphics/DOS/ 3 years ONSITE wty/ backpack /HDMI/4C       DELL LATITUDE

or

• Intel Dual Core i7-6500U 2.5 GHz Processor(upto 3.10 with boost)
  • 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • 1 TB HDD Storage; Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)                             DELL inspiron
  • 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Touchscreen
  • Windows 10 Operating System; Silver Matte Chassis

i need to learn above technologies in future above two configuration which one best to work

what are min configuration  learn above techonologies

Thank you!

Tagged:
Makkina SrikanthAndrewSayerDejan T.KayKVlad Visan-OracleWilliam RobertsonjgarryPS_orclNerd

Answers

• Vlad Visan-Oracle
    Vlad Visan-Oracle Member Posts: 1,249 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 7:14AM

My only suggestion is to get a laptop with more RAM ( ~16GB ) just to easily run 3-4 virtual machines.

Makkina Srikanth
  • JohnWatson2
    JohnWatson2 Member Posts: 4,328 Silver Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 7:30AM

You could buy a real computer on ebay.  You can get some amazing kit second hand. There's a Sunfire X4440 with four 6 core CPUs and 64GB RAM for five hundred quid at the moment.

Makkina Srikanth
  • William Robertson
    William Robertson Member Posts: 9,564 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 8:05AM

I am not sure whether a Silver Matte Chassis is strictly required to run Oracle.

AndrewSayerKayK
  • Makkina Srikanth
    Makkina Srikanth Member Posts: 139
    edited Oct 20, 2016 8:06AM

im thing 8 gb now i can upgarde after 16GB

500 GB is HDD ok  for above techologies

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,525 Gold Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 8:17AM
    Makkina Srikanth wrote:Dear Frnds , I'm core dba . im focus on future (RAC,APPS,CLOUD,bigdata)  i need train myself . so i need buy a laptop so presntly im thinking about one laptop with bellow configration,Intel Core I7 6500U/ 8GB RAM/ 500GB HDD / NO ODD/14"  HD Screen/ Webcam/wifi/bluetooth/ 2GB nvidia 920 graphics/DOS/ 3 years ONSITE wty/ backpack /HDMI/4C DELL LATITUDE or Intel Dual Core i7-6500U 2.5 GHz Processor(upto 3.10 with boost)8 GB DDR3L SDRAM1 TB HDD Storage; Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) DELL inspiron 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife TouchscreenWindows 10 Operating System; Silver Matte Chassisi need to learn above technologies in future above two configuration which one best to workwhat are min configuration learn above techonologies Thank you! 

The only things of concern are memory, disk, and cpu. 

My personal laptop, running Win 7 Home Premium, has 8 gb of RAM and I can get two VMs (each with 2gb) running at once.

My office workstation has 16gb running Win 7 Pro and I can get at least 3 VMs running at once.  Have never needed more.

My personal laptop has 500gb.  My office workstation has 1tb

For cpu, you need 64-bit an virtualization support.  I believe the one you listed meets that.

You might find these articles useful:

VirtualBox Computer Lab Framework :: edstevensdba

Configuring the Oracle VirtualBox Network :: edstevensdba

Dejan T.
  • jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,842
    edited Oct 20, 2016 1:47PM

That won't fit under an airline seat.

Vlad Visan-Oracle
  • Srini Chavali-Oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Member Posts: 29,596 Blue Diamond
    edited Oct 20, 2016 3:07PM

Of the 4 use cases you outlined, an 8G RAM laptop will likely suffice for RAC learning.

Assuming you mean EBS when you stated "APPS", you will require at least 12GB RAM to have acceptable performance, even for a single user learning instance.

I am not entirely sure how you plan to emulate "cloud" and "big data" learning environments on your proposed laptop.

• PS_orclNerd
    PS_orclNerd Member Posts: 384 Bronze Badge
    edited Oct 21, 2016 6:18AM

or you can buy a cheap notebook, the cheapest one, install linux and connect to a PC that would have a lot of RAM and disk and it would run at home with a public IP.. so you would have a supercomputer that can be used from everywhere (because WLAN is everywhere) .. all you need is ssh -Y, normally servers don't have grafical environments, you would have to learn more (like configuring linux) then just having everything nice and easy by clicking next next and you would have a RAC

William Robertson
  • William Robertson
    William Robertson Member Posts: 9,564 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 21, 2016 6:28AM

Or conversely, I wonder what is the cheapest device that will run Oracle? Get a couple of those and use them as remote servers.

• PS_orclNerd
    PS_orclNerd Member Posts: 384 Bronze Badge
    edited Oct 21, 2016 6:59AM

Running Oracle is not a problem.. for instance you can have 8GB RAM, 500GB, 4 cores with Windows and 2 VMs.. with less I had problems, now I have 16GB at work and I had a 2 node RAC primary, 2 node RAC standby and a cloud control VM for a playground..

2 GB of RAM for each are enough, RAM and swap can be skipped and after clusterware installation modification of the sga of the asm instances to 200MB, it will run, then installing RAC is 1GB, afterwards setting it to the lowest possible value like I don't know 600MB and your oracle instances have only 800MB, 2GB will be too much for the VM.. for learning, RAM and CPU is not important.. to create a cloud I don't know, I have to read the cloud cookbook, I got it only 2 days ago, but to create DBaaS cannot be problematic.. BigData, it's again only installation and administration.. normally you cannot prepare for real world problems (normally performance problems)... to try out restores, that's not a real world problem and installations are easy once you complete them 5-10 times with modifications and improvements..

This discussion has been closed.