• 2,260,590 Discussions
  • 7,896,773 Comments

Discussions

Issue at the customer end - gateway timeout error

User_19BPU
User_19BPU Member Posts: 1,086 Blue Ribbon
edited Dec 20, 2016 6:52PM in Java Programming

Hi,

We are getting an "gateway timeout error" for one customer when we tries to place an order from his local machine, this is happening for only one customer. Hence , it looks like there is some problem at the customer end, what are the parameters which can contribute to this issue from the customer end like n/w connectivity, etc? which we need to verify?

As Gateway timeout Error happens when "one server did not receive a timely response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page "?

Please clarify.

Thanks

Answers

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Nov 25, 2016 6:40AM

If it's not happening with all your customers, or at least all your customers performing a certain operation, it does not smell like a coding issue, but rather something in your infrastructure or networking. See https://www.reference.com/technology/504-gateway-timeout-mean-a3a1efcaf584ea22

I'm afraid a Java forum is probably not a good place to ask questions like this.

• morgalr
    morgalr Member Posts: 457
    edited Dec 20, 2016 6:52PM

You need to put a network trace on the route, or more easily, start out with a trace route using the IP protocol and see where the congestion is.  Does it happen every time or just some times?  If it happens sometimes, that is a horrible problem to trace, you have to put a packet sniffer in the line and see what conditions are present when the problem manifests. I have had it as simple as a router or gateway needed to be rebooted, and happy day, the problem was fixed.  On the other hand I've had to trace for weeks to finally get enough cases to form an opinion of what was happening and then take even longer tracing out options on what was the cause.

good luck,

Les

This discussion has been closed.