Forum Stats

• 3,783,353 Users
  • 2,254,762 Discussions
  • 7,880,372 Comments

Discussions

Need a set of permissions required for MySQL DBA to do administrative activities in Linux server.

3333335 Member Posts: 1
edited Nov 30, 2016 10:02AM in MySQL Community Space

I am new to MySQL server. I took over the support of MySQL and tried to run few administrative commands like rpm -qa, service mysql status, crontab etc...

could you help me by providing the list of permissions required for DBA to perform adminstrative tasks at OS Level.

our OS Version is Linux 6

Thank you,

Rajasekhara Reddy .K

Best Answer

• Gbenga Ajakaye
    Gbenga Ajakaye Member Posts: 3,422 Gold Trophy
    edited Nov 29, 2016 11:52AM Accepted Answer

rpm -qa, service mysql status, crontab etc... on the OS level, you'll need either a sudo or root access to the server.

You need to ask your OS admin to grant your user name sudo privilege. Say your user name is mysqluser.

Your sys admin will grant your user name mysqluser sudo access. With sudo access, you'll be able to use things like:

• sudo service mysqld start
    • sudo service mysqld stop
    • sudo service mysqld status

For crotab, as your OS admin for access to create and maintain crontab

Answers

• Gbenga Ajakaye
    Gbenga Ajakaye Member Posts: 3,422 Gold Trophy
    edited Nov 29, 2016 11:52AM Accepted Answer

rpm -qa, service mysql status, crontab etc... on the OS level, you'll need either a sudo or root access to the server.

You need to ask your OS admin to grant your user name sudo privilege. Say your user name is mysqluser.

Your sys admin will grant your user name mysqluser sudo access. With sudo access, you'll be able to use things like:

• sudo service mysqld start
    • sudo service mysqld stop
    • sudo service mysqld status

For crotab, as your OS admin for access to create and maintain crontab