Forum Stats

• 3,851,925 Users
  • 2,264,053 Discussions
  • 7,904,906 Comments

Discussions

How to add more roles in Apex' Access Control?

DannyS-Oracle
DannyS-Oracle Member Posts: 165
edited Dec 12, 2016 3:26PM in APEX Discussions

Hi guys, I am trying to add more roles from the default options in Apex' Access Control (administrator, edit, view).

My app is like container of three different apps. And the admin of each app will be different, that's why I am looking to add more role options in the Access Control (e.g. 'admin-app1', 'admin-app2', 'edit-app1')... But it seems the documentation did not provide customization: Controlling Access to Applications, Pages, and Page Components 

Anybody know how to add more roles on top of the default Access Control? I am using Apex v5.0.4

TryingAPEXFC60DannyS-Oracle

Best Answer

Answers

• TexasApexDeveloper
    TexasApexDeveloper Member Posts: 7,967 Gold Crown
    edited Nov 29, 2016 11:52PM Answer ✓

Simple answer, you can't.. That is the way it is built.. If you want other options you are better off building your own custom authentication.

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    LuvMuffin Software
    Los Alamos, NM

FC60DannyS-OracleDannyS-Oracle
  • Mint-Innit
    Mint-Innit Member Posts: 377 Silver Badge
    edited Nov 30, 2016 3:53AM

I found the built in authorisation schemes didn't really work for us, so we built a simple table of roles, and a table of role users, then just added report/form pages within the application to manage them. Finally I just created simple authorisation schemes (usually PL/SQL Function Returning Boolean) for the various roles (or combinations of roles), and applied them to pages, menu items etc as required.  It was all pretty easy to do in the end and seems to be working well so far.  I've even added specific pages so that certain users can manage roles & users within their own teams/areas to save me having to do it for them :-)

Cheers.

TryingAPEXFC60DannyS-OracleDannyS-Oracle
This discussion has been closed.