• 3,854,538 Users
  • 2,264,379 Discussions
  • 7,905,721 Comments

Discussions

Kerning or letter spacing in JavaFX 8

3397171 Member Posts: 2
edited Feb 14, 2017 1:25PM in JavaFX 2.0 and Later

Howdie folks.

Is kerning (the horizontal space between letters) a controllable property in JavaFX8? I've dug through the documentation, to no avail ...

Best Answer

• jsmith
    jsmith Member Posts: 2,856
    edited Feb 13, 2017 1:58PM Answer ✓

There is an open feature request for this:

"Prism: font: ligature and kerning support"

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8091616

The last comment (currently) on the feature request is this:

> FYI, we have all the code to perform kerning in place, it is just not exposed in the API. My intention was to design an API for kerning as well as other typography features, but we ran out of time for this in JavaFX 8.

If you wish to follow up further on this, I encourage you to comment on the feature request or post to the openjfx-dev mailing list.

openjfx-dev Info Page

Answers

• jsmith
    jsmith Member Posts: 2,856
    edited Feb 13, 2017 1:58PM Answer ✓

There is an open feature request for this:

"Prism: font: ligature and kerning support"

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8091616

The last comment (currently) on the feature request is this:

> FYI, we have all the code to perform kerning in place, it is just not exposed in the API. My intention was to design an API for kerning as well as other typography features, but we ran out of time for this in JavaFX 8.

If you wish to follow up further on this, I encourage you to comment on the feature request or post to the openjfx-dev mailing list.

openjfx-dev Info Page

• bouye-JavaNet
    bouye-JavaNet Member Posts: 394 Silver Badge
    edited Feb 13, 2017 5:59PM

And while asking there, do not forget to reference the issue on the Jira that @jsmith linked above and to mention you would like to see this implemented for JDK10 (it's already too late for JDK9).

This discussion has been closed.