Forum Stats

• 3,770,454 Users
  • 2,253,116 Discussions
  • 7,875,462 Comments

Discussions

access with perl to remote oracle server without local installation of oracle client

wucis
wucis Member Posts: 131 Blue Ribbon
edited Mar 15, 2017 8:51PM in Python

Hello,

I know, my questions does not fit exactly in this subspace, but perl and python are somehow similar.

I like to connect with perl (from a win7 machine) to a remote oracle server. This should happen without installing the oracle client on the local machine, where the perl script will be running. I use the dbi module which is calling the respective dbd::oracle module. The error I get, complaines about some environment variables. But I cant define a ORACLE_HOME cause there is (should) no oracle software installed (client).

So the question is: Is it possible to access a remote oracle server without installing the client software ?

Answers

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,785 Bronze Crown
    edited Mar 15, 2017 8:51PM

I don't believe so. dbd:oracle requires Oracle libraries. Just download the Oracle instant client and be done with it.

Oracle Instant Client Downloads

...it's also worth downloading the sqlplus package, invaluable for checking out connectivity, sql statements etc, before putting the queries into your perl code, MUCH easier to debug.

Cheers,

Gaz.

This discussion has been closed.