Forum Stats

• 3,769,977 Users
  • 2,253,041 Discussions
  • 7,875,257 Comments

Discussions

connection.gettype raises OCI-22351: This API is not supported by the ORACLE server.

bc6ae76a-4f29-42e3-b796-207ee2e31e5a
edited Mar 29, 2017 7:26PM in Python

Hi everyone. I've been trying to use the new Connection.deq functionality in cx_Oracle 5.3 which requires me to use connection.gettype().

I have tried it on a 10.2 and an 11g database using instant client 11.2, 12.1 and 12.2 and I keep getting the same error:

OCI-22351: This API is not supported by the ORACLE server.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,785 Bronze Crown
    edited Mar 28, 2017 2:47AM

Here's the FULL error text:

F:\>oerr OCI-2235122351, 00000, "This API is not supported by the ORACLE server."//  *Cause:  An attempt was made to call an API which is not supported by the//           Oracle server.//  *Action: Do not call the unsupported API when connected to this Oracle//           server.

It is painfully obvious from the error text that what ever is failing in your code, that we can NOT see, you are making a call to a version of the Oracle server with an API that is not supported by that version of the Oracle server...

Read the full error text (above) and follow the advice in the "Action:" section.

If you intend to post again in the Oracle forums then please take the time to read:

...and follow that advice too. By posting a simple example, complete with working code, you'd be amazed at how helpful the people on this forum are.

Cheers,

Gaz.

• Anthony Tuininga-Oracle
    Anthony Tuininga-Oracle Member Posts: 37 Employee
    edited Mar 29, 2017 7:26PM

I have verified that if you use cx_Oracle 5.3 compiled with an 11g Oracle Client against an 11g Oracle Database that you will in fact get the type information using connection.gettype(). It is only if you use cx_Oracle that has been compiled with a 12c Oracle Client that you will get the error you mention. Note that it does matter which version of Oracle Client was used to build cx_Oracle as different OCI functions are used in 11g than are used in 12c.

I am also working on simplifying this so that you won't have to concern yourself with such details -- that is coming in cx_Oracle 6 which is still in progress. In the meantime, check your versions carefully!

This discussion has been closed.