Forum Stats

• 3,757,088 Users
  • 2,251,194 Discussions
  • 7,869,721 Comments

Discussions

Does APEX 5.x needs ORDS to create REST webservices?

991374 Member Posts: 10
edited May 3, 2017 4:06AM in APEX Discussions

Hi,

I've installed APEX 5. I've created a restful service and a restful module name. I've created also a sample GET handler. The problem is that I don't see any TEST or RUN button for me to test the service.

Do I need ORDS to create webservices in APEX?

What's the default URL to access a webservice?

Regards

N

Tagged:

Answers

• Pavel_p
    Pavel_p Member Posts: 2,305 Gold Trophy
    edited May 2, 2017 11:18AM

Hi,

yes. You need ORDS either as a standalone application (not recommended for production systems) or deployed to one of the three application servers (TomCat, Glassfish, Weblogic). Once you have it up and running, you'll be able to test your web services and you'll see the service's URL (only for the GET method though, but you'll be able to simply modify the URL for other endpoints).

Regards,

Pavel

991374 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2, 2017 11:26AM

And ... is it free to use as Oracle APEX (if you have a DB license) ?

• Hilary Farrell-Oracle
    Hilary Farrell-Oracle Software Development Senior Manager Member Posts: 2,320 Employee
    edited May 2, 2017 11:36AM

Hi N,

Do I need ORDS to create webservices in APEX?

Yes - your APEX instance must be configured with ORDS in order to use the RESTful Services component in APEX.  You will need to ensure that you have followed all of the necessary installation instructions, as outlined in the Installation Guide:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/apex-5.1/HTMIG/installing-AE-and-configuring-Oracle-REST-data-services.htm#HTMIG29143.  Once ORDS has been configured, you should then be able to see the 'Test' button in RESTful Services.  The option is only ever visible when ORDS is configured.  Once you've completed the configuration steps, then I recommend installing the Sample oracle.example.hr RESTful Service, and try testing that out.  That will help to identify what your default URLs will look like:

pastedImage_2.png

The URL will include a workspace prefix, that's unique to your workspace.  For example, running the 'employees' Handler in the sample will result in a URL similar to the following:

http://hostname:port/apex/my_workspace_name/hr/employees/

So just ensure you've followed all the necessary installation steps, and you should be back in business.

Regards,

Hilary

• Pavel_p
    Pavel_p Member Posts: 2,305 Gold Trophy
    edited May 3, 2017 4:06AM

Yes, it's free but it also depends on your deployment scenario. If you decide to deploy ORDS to a Weblogic server, you'll have to have a valid license for WLS. Tomcat and Glassfish are free. So with 11g XE you have a complete development/testing/production environment for free (as long as you fit into XE limitations).

This discussion has been closed.