• 2,260,702 Discussions
  • 7,897,069 Comments

Discussions

Getting curious

xtbe
xtbe Member Posts: 5
edited May 8, 2017 1:30PM in Java Puzzle Ball

Hi,

I'm just curious about this one as this is probably out of scope of this course but would like to get some info on it...

Given the puzzleball jar where does the game keeps track of which puzzles you solved ?

Home directory ?

Temp directory ?

Inside Jar ?

Getting some directions/info would be great to add some learning experience !

Tnx in advance !

Best Answer

• xtbe
    edited May 7, 2017 11:32AM Answer ✓

Found it out in the meantime, apparently there's a folder JavaPuzzleBall_SaveData in the home directory/folder containing 3 files which corresponds with the three categories in the puzzle game (basic, inheritance, lambda).

Each file contains a 0 or 1 value which indicates if you completed the puzzle or not. During startup there's probably a check if the files exist, if not they are created and initialized with zeroes.

Now you know this, don't try to "hack" the stuff ;-)

xtbe

Answers

• xtbe
    edited May 7, 2017 11:32AM Answer ✓

Found it out in the meantime, apparently there's a folder JavaPuzzleBall_SaveData in the home directory/folder containing 3 files which corresponds with the three categories in the puzzle game (basic, inheritance, lambda).

Each file contains a 0 or 1 value which indicates if you completed the puzzle or not. During startup there's probably a check if the files exist, if not they are created and initialized with zeroes.

Now you know this, don't try to "hack" the stuff ;-)

xtbe
  • NickR2600-Oracle
    NickR2600-Oracle Member Posts: 530 Employee
    edited May 8, 2017 1:30PM

ha ha, yep, that's it.  It's very hack-able.  At the time, I wasn't sure if the game would be played in a browser, downloadable, or both.  The data is saved locally for two reasons.  First is because that's what I knew how to code.  Second is because I didn't want people to lose their progress if they played online and decided to download later.

Nick