• 3,826,739 Users
  • 2,260,701 Discussions
  • 7,897,066 Comments

Discussions

Platform could not be found for both "Hello World" and "JPB_MOOC_Lab1"

3462211 Member Posts: 27
edited May 15, 2017 1:02PM in Java Puzzle Ball

Hi there,

I bumped into problem of "platform could not be found" on "Hello world" project.  I got around with it and was able to get through (finish) "Hello World" project because it was a simple task of changing text.

Then it happens again when I tried to do "JPB_MOOC_Lab1".  The exact error message on NetBeans is copy typed as following;

Project problems:

"JDK_1.8" platform could not be found (in JPB_MOOC_Lab1)"

Description:

Problem: The project uses the Java Platform called "JDK_1.8", but this platform was not found.

Solution: click Resolve and create new platform called "JDK_1.8"

I'm not familiar with using NetBean yet.  Anyone know the proper way to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Carol

Answers

edited May 11, 2017 8:43PM

Hello All,

Out of more than 1000 people taking this course online, I'm very surprised no one else run into this same problem.  Anyway I'm able to find my way to get around this problem to finish lab1, but would really like to know both the root cause of this problem and the proper way to fix it.  I try to re-download Java and NetBeans to ensure I've downloaded every component, it told me I've already downloaded everything.  Both Java and NetBeans are in the normal directory / folder for Windows' executable files, which is in C:\Program files.  So now I'm wondering the root cause of this problem is that NetBeans was trying to ensure proper version control environment for source code is established for the project lab1??? 

Just in case someone else has the same problem, I've described how I get around the issue as below;

When opened JPB_MOOC_Lab1 on NetBeans, the below error message popped up

Project problems

One or more project resources could not be found. Right-click the project in the Project window and choose Resolve Project Problems to find

the missing resources.

Below is the description of how I got around the problem;

Click Resolve problem, a Resolve Project Problems dialog box open

Click Resolve... button on the top right hand side, a Resolve Broken Platform dialog box open with message typed as below;

The Java Platform called JDK_1.8 was not found.  Either create a new Java Platform, then a Manage Platforms... button

or use an existing Java Platform; then a drop-down button with 2 choices

JDK_1.8 <-- in red font

JDK_1.8 (Default) <-- in black font

What I did is: Select JK 1.8 (Default) then click OK button, then

"This problem was resolved" message would shown in the Description: area of the Resolve Project Problems dialog box. 

then click Close button.

Hint: For version controlled projects it's recommended to create a new Java Platform "JDK_1.8"

If I clicked the Manage Platforms... button, then a Java Platform Manager dialog box open

Platform Name: JDK 1.8 (Default)

Platform Folder: c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131

There's a Add Platform... button on the lower left-hand side

Anyone else run into the same problem?  Will I have this problem repeatedly when I start coding in Java on my own?

I'd love to know the proper way to fix this problem so that I won't run into this problem again.  Any thought / opinion?

Thanks,

Carol

• NickR2600-Oracle
    NickR2600-Oracle Member Posts: 530 Employee
    edited May 11, 2017 9:03PM

That is strange... I'll have to see if I can discover a proper solution.  But I'm glad people are discovering a workaround.  Congrats on that and solving Lab 1.

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited May 12, 2017 3:58PM

I've made a couple updates.  Does the problem still occur if you download and import the latest version of HelloWorld.zip?

edited May 13, 2017 7:57PM

Hello Nick,

Many thanks for your help.  I've deleted both HelloWord.zip and Lab1.zip and re-downloaded both of them on my computer.  There's no longer missing platform error message.  It's brilliant!!!  Is it ok to ask what did you do to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Carol

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited May 15, 2017 1:02PM

That's good news!  I right-clicked the project in NetBeans, clicked properties > libraries > and changed the Java platform setting to JDK 1.8 (default).  I must have been experimenting with this setting before I created the labs and forgot to change it back.

pastedImage_0.png