• 3,770,503 Users
  • 2,253,127 Discussions
  • 7,875,489 Comments

Discussions

transfer data from .DBF file to oracle database

3273235 Member Posts: 34
edited May 10, 2017 1:12PM in General Database Discussions

Dear all,

I have fingerTec TCMS v2, it is a punish machine that save the coming time and leaving for employees in company which saves data in .dbf file. I need to transfer data such as ( employee number, date , in time and out time )from attend.dbf  to same columns in my Oracle 9i data  in table. I don't want to use extra system I need to do it manually.

please help.

Tagged:
EdStevensAlex-DMark D PowellandrewmyGeert Gruwez

Answers

• AndrewSayer
    AndrewSayer Member Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown
    edited May 10, 2017 7:11AM
    3273235 wrote:Dear all,I have fingerTec TCMS v2, it is a punish machine that save the coming time and leaving for employees in company which saves data in .dbf file. I need to transfer data such as ( employee number, date , in time and out time )from attend.dbf to same columns in my Oracle 9i data in table. I don't want to use extra system I need to do it manually.please help.

What format does it store the data in this file with an extension of .dbf? Can you read it as a human if you opened it up in notepad, if so it should be easy enough to write a sqlldr control file to parse and load it.

If it is encoded in some way then you need to figure out how to decode it, that would be a question to ask the vendor.

edited May 10, 2017 7:19AM

no I can't read it in notepad but I installed the .dbf viewr tro view the tables

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited May 10, 2017 7:21AM

Hi,

check out the FingerTec User Manual (Time Attendance Software : FingerTec Worldwide ). It mentions a "FingerTec Data Processor" that lets you connect to other databases or export data into different file types.

Andris

Mark D Powell
    edited May 10, 2017 7:34AM

They are providing tool called FTDP but I dnt want to use extra system I want for example to connect through odbc or something like this but am stuck

• AndrewSayer
    AndrewSayer Member Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown
    edited May 10, 2017 7:39AM
    3273235 wrote:They are providing tool called FTDP but I dnt want to use extra system I want for example to connect through odbc or something like this but am stuck 

How is odbc supposed to know how to interpret the file?

If they have provided a tool then why don't you want to use it?

EdStevensAlex-D
  • Alex-D
    Alex-D Member Posts: 800 Gold Badge
    edited May 10, 2017 8:20AM

The very first question to ask: "what these .dbf files are?". Chances are they are in some kind of dBASE compatible format, but this is not 100% sure.

If they are indeed dBASE, this means they can be read through ODBC using dBASE drivers that are available on pretty much every windows machine out there. They certainly are on my W7 I am writing this on. Don't know about W8 and W10 though, up to you to check this out. Things will be getting more complex if you're on Unix/Linux, but still are doable.

If this is NOT dBASE, good luck figuring out how to read those.

You will end up writing some king of code anyway, so this won't be too much different from using provided tool. Which your vendor officially supports too I imagine? If you have it - use it.

• Geert Gruwez
    Geert Gruwez Member Posts: 1,011
    edited May 10, 2017 10:57AM

some people try to re-invent the wheel

everybody can have their moment for an "Eureka !" ... no ?

i'm guessing this is a man, trying to do something without first reading the manual

Using FTDP with Oracle Database | FingerTec Technical Blog

• John Stegeman
    John Stegeman Member Posts: 24,269 Blue Diamond
    edited May 10, 2017 10:57AM
    i'm guessing this is a man, trying to do something without first reading the manual

How do you know it's not a woman?

andrewmy
  • Geert Gruwez
    edited May 10, 2017 10:58AM

cos i just posted a link to 1 such manual

• Geert Gruwez
    edited May 10, 2017 10:59AM

a woman usually has the link to the manual but doesn't understand it

have you never turned the map upside down for your spouce ?

andrewmy
This discussion has been closed.