Forum Stats

• 3,852,847 Users
  • 2,264,142 Discussions
  • 7,905,157 Comments

Discussions

Provider cannot be found, It may not be properly installed.

3514477 Member Posts: 5
edited Jul 31, 2017 5:25PM in Oracle Provider for OLE DB

Hi,

I have written excel macro to connect Oracle Database to get the data. It is perfectly working fine.

I have tried below connection strings.

1. con.Open ("User ID=xxx;Password=yyy;Data Source=zz;Provider=oraOLEDB.Oracle")

strCon = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle}; " & _

"CONNECTSTRING=(DESCRIPTION=" & _

"(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)" & _

"(HOST=<servername>)(PORT=pno))" & _

"(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=sid))); uid=xxx; pwd=yyy;"

con.Open (strCon)

When I copy this excel file in end user machine it is throwing below exception:

Run-time error '3706':

Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

So, an end user must have the "Oracle Client" in his machine to run this macro on his machine? or is there any way we can connect to oracle database from Excel without installing oracle client?

Thanks,

Suman

738771d9-8554-4536-8d82-1faa190940db

Answers

• Frank Kulash
    Frank Kulash Member, Moderator Posts: 42,490 Red Diamond
    edited Jul 31, 2017 11:20AM

Hi, Suman,

You don't seem to have a problem using SQL or PLSQL, so the SQL/PLSQL forum might not be the best place for this thread.

I'll move it to the   forum for you.

edited Jul 31, 2017 11:29AM

Ok. No problem. Thank you!

• ddf_dba
    ddf_dba Member Posts: 1,398 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jul 31, 2017 11:31AM
    dfb12658-ba33-44b9-98a1-2b5f3a584262 wrote:Hi,I have written excel macro to connect Oracle Database to get the data. It is perfectly working fine.I have tried below connection strings.  1. con.Open ("User ID=xxx;Password=yyy;Data Source=zz;Provider=oraOLEDB.Oracle") 2.  strCon = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle}; " & _ "CONNECTSTRING=(DESCRIPTION=" & _ "(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)" & _ "(HOST=<servername>)(PORT=pno))" & _ "(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=sid))); uid=xxx; pwd=yyy;" con.Open (strCon)When I copy this excel file in end user machine it is throwing below exception:Run-time error '3706':Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.So, an end user must have the "Oracle Client" in his machine to run this macro on his machine? or is there any way we can connect to oracle database from Excel without installing oracle client?Thanks,Suman

WHERE is it 'perfectly working fine'?  What is apparent is you simply put the Excel workbook on a different computer that doesn't have that OLEDB source configured; just because it's configured on your machine doesn't make it configured on any other computer.

You should try to configure the datasource on the computer you simply dropped that Excel workbook  on and try again. 

David Fitzjarrell

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 31, 2017 12:19PM

I've gotten good examples from the hoopercharles blog, every time I forget how to do what David said.

Edit:  You may also want to use the Oracle drivers.

edited Jul 31, 2017 2:38PM

Thanks David! Oracle client has been installed on my machine that's why it's working fine.

Can you please let me know how to configure OLEDB Source in users machine? or Please share the link if you have any.

-Regards

Suman

edited Jul 31, 2017 2:41PM

Thank you! Do you mean I have to install Oracle drivers in users machine? Could you please share more details on the same?

Regards

Suman

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 31, 2017 5:23PM

Like I said, I can never remember how to do it, I just google odbc hoopercharles plus some more words describing exactly what I want. ORA - 12560 with ODBC

• ddf_dba
    ddf_dba Member Posts: 1,398 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jul 31, 2017 5:25PM

Yes, to make this easy on  you the Oracle  client should be installed on the users machine.  Microsoft makes Oracle drivers but the Oracle client is more reliable.  Without some sort of OLEDB/ODBC driver for Oracle this won't work.

David Fitzjarrell

This discussion has been closed.