Forum Stats

• 3,734,235 Users
  • 2,246,914 Discussions
  • 7,857,193 Comments

Discussions

Devops and Dba

3520695 Member Posts: 2
edited Jul 24, 2018 8:00PM in DevOps Discussions

Hello! I work as dba and  try to understand the implementation of Devops therefore i need your help. What does Devops mean for dba and database? When can i say that i implement Devops to database?

Answers

• Shotokan
    Shotokan Member Posts: 73
    edited Nov 12, 2017 11:56AM

I am in the same boat in trying understand this DevOps role and it is so lacking of the DBA participation. Most DevOps job description do not include anything a DBA knows but how can the role be effective without knowing the database piece ? How would they know the internal of the database engine and the impact of the performance without someone actually academically prepared and experience with it? DevOps is Development and Operation roles combined, but DBA plays important role in both of them as well.

3023926 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 17, 2018 1:35PM

Hello...

do you found the answer for the question?

• Adrian Png
    Adrian Png Member Posts: 168
    edited Jul 24, 2018 8:00PM

IMHO, a DBA is ready for DevOps when he/she has a good breadth of knowledge of the full stack:

• Development platforms like Java, Python, APEX.etc. and how to deploy them.
    • Knowledge about security frameworks.
    • Both data and systems integration.
    • Scripting, automating and creating reproducible deployments (think Docker, Vagrant, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet and the likes); and
    • DBA skills of course.

We can't know everything, but we can learn new things and adapt to new technologies that make us better at our jobs and delivering products and services to our customers.

At Insum, we've started looking at Docker seriously and have used containers in DEV and PROD environments. For DEV, it has helped us to be responsive to developers need to try out new technologies. Using the Oracle Docker images that Gerald and his team have open-sourced, we are able to very quickly create and teardown environments for developers to experiment and learn from. On the production-side, Docker containers provide a consistent environment (think dependency management) and provides the opportunity to "version control" our configurations.

• Did you get the correct answer?