This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,583 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,824 Comments

Discussions

Problem building Boost 1.64.0 with Developer Studio 12.6

user13420336
user13420336 Member Posts: 9

Hi,

I have a set of libraries which I build on various platforms.  This set of libraries requires the Boost C++ Libraries.

I attempted to build Boost 1.64.0 on Solaris 11.3 x86_64 using Developer Studio 12.6 without success.  These are the command lines used to invoke the build:

./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/export/home/dev3rd/boost_1_64_0 --with-toolset=sun
./b2 link=shared runtime-link=shared address-model=64 threading=multi variant=release cxxflags="-std=c++14" linkflags="-std=c++14" install

FYI, I have successfully performed the same build on two other platforms, namely:

1.  Fedora 26 using GCC 7.1.

2.  Windows 7 using Visual Studio 2017.

I have also raised the same issues with Boost but I have not received any feedback yet.

It seems that there are 3 main issues with the build, namely:

1.  Problem with Boost.Log library with this error message:

>> Assertion:   (../lnk/initializer.cc, line 1865)
    while processing ./boost/log/expressions/message.hpp at line 98.

It appears that this has something to do with initializer lists.  Are you able to confirm that this is a compiler issue or should I be pursuing it with Boost?

2.  Another problem with Boost.Log library with this error message:

"libs/log/src/named_scope.cpp", line 118: Error: Use of overloaded binary operator '=' is ambiguous.
    "./boost/optional/optional.hpp", line 900: Note: Viable candidate 'boost::optional<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list>& boost::optional<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list>::operator=<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list&>(boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list&)'.
    "./boost/optional/optional.hpp", line 962: Note: Viable candidate 'boost::optional<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list>& boost::optional<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list>::operator=<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list&>(boost::log::v2_mt_posix::attributes::named_scope_list&)'.

It is possible that this is a Boost configuration issue since two member functions with the same signature are being seen by the compiler.  However, it is also possible that this is a std::enable_if<> issue.  Can you please comment.

3.  Problem with Boost.Python with this error message:

"libs/python/src/numpy/dtype.cpp", line 61: Error: NPY_FLOAT16 is not defined.

It appears that this might be a package installation issue to do with Python-related packages.  FYI, I'm only running Solaris 11.3 x86_64 on a VMware virtual machine without a support contract thus I'm having issues installing the required Python packages possibly due to unapplied required updates of the operating system.  I'm hoping that if someone from Oracle performed the same build you wouldn't be having this problem.  Is this a fair enough assumption?

Kind regards,
Leo

Answers

This discussion has been closed.