Bhavya Babuta
Bhavya Babuta Member Posts: 1
edited Aug 17, 2017 2:22PM in Database Installation

How to install Oracle 12c Database on Mac OSX

Answers

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,826 Black Diamond
    edited Aug 17, 2017 8:39AM

Oracle VirtualBox (free), VMware Fusion, or Parallels Desktop only.

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 17, 2017 10:42AM

Oracle no longer has a database product certified for MacOS. There was an older version you could run on MacOS some years ago but that version is no longer readily available. Even Oracle Client is not available for MacOS, but I do see Instant Client is.

What @Dude! is telling you is to get a copy of Virtual Box. https://www.virtualbox.org/

Then grab a copy of Oracle Linux 7 or MS Windows and create a virtual machine on your Mac.

Then install Oracle on the VM. Oracle running on a Mac, but not without virtualization help.

Cheers,
    Brian

• Dude!
    edited Aug 17, 2017 11:58AM

There is also SQLDevloper and SQLcl, both run on Mac OS. SQLcl is relatively new, but very useful.

As I recall, Oracle 10g (10.1) was the first and last Oracle RDBMS to support Mac OSX  and only worked up to 10.5 Leopard. That's all history.

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 17, 2017 2:00PM

Maybe the OP could run 10.5 Leopard in VBox with Oracle 10.1? 

j/k   LOL!!!

Cheers,
    Brian

• Dude!
    edited Aug 17, 2017 2:22PM

It's been a while and I don't remember details, but the Oracle database installation was very unusual and not like anything else you would possibly install on a Mac. Personally, I cannot understand, why Oracle doesn't provide state of the art installer for systems like Linux, Mac OS or MS Windows and why they bother with Java and linking application binaries during the installation.

This discussion has been closed.