ODP.Net for .Net Core 2 (.Net Standard) beta? — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,657 Users
  • 2,242,821 Discussions
  • 7,845,481 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ODP.Net for .Net Core 2 (.Net Standard) beta?

Mottor
Mottor Member Posts: 11 Blue Ribbon
edited March 2018 in ODP.NET

Hi,

according to this link:

https://events.rainfocus.com/widget/oracle/oow17/1504907905446001C9gK

there will be a demo (.NET Development and Windows Platform Integration for Oracle Database) on Oracle Open World :

"Learn about new and upcoming Oracle .NET feature support, including Visual Studio 2017 and .NET Core on Windows and Linux."

See here too:

https://events.rainfocus.com/catalog/oracle/oow17/catalogoow17?search=CON6722&showEnrolled=false

Speakers: Alex Keh and Christian Shay

Can we have access to a beta version of ODP.Net for .Net Core 2?

Best Regards

P.S.  4. October 2017

Hi Alex Keh and Christian Shay ,

I do not know what you have shown (Oracle does not stream the conference ),

but may we have at last the new ODP.Net for .Net Core  version ?

P.S. 8 November 2017

My trial period of DevArt dotConnect (.Net Core) has expired. (I do not know why DevArt can do something what Oracle cannot)

I have now these options:

1. Buy DevArt components. (I have to explain why I need it)

2. Freeze the project.  (It is not an option)

3. Move the data to Postgre. (I have to convince some people. Will not be easy.)

I would like the 4th one. Give us the beta.

And at least you can write here an answer, why you cannot do it and when will be ready.

P.S. 9 November 2017

I have found 5th option (StackOverflow):

Use the old System.Data.OracleClient ( it is updated to .Net Standard 2)

You have to check everything. I have had an additional symbol on a string coming from a case expression. (?)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47200649/system-data-oracleclient-and-net-core-2-additional-symbol-some-times

And Oracle, I am still waiting.

"Oracle plans to certify ODP.NET, Managed Driver on Microsoft .NET Core around the end of calendar year 2017."

P.S. 15 December 2017

"Oracle's Larry Ellison Challenges Amazon, Salesforce And Workday On The Future Of The Cloud"

Really, Oracle needs years to write a small support library for .Net Core.  And they needed three years to write the first version of ODP.Net. Who will you challenge?

3577126Mottoruser3939382cb1cad18-f5f0-4783-901f-96d6aae4c01dAnders_Robert Loveuser13509297User_7VBED2979202Sergasdlead111197da9823-2fb8-4e3d-b8ae-1374dea97376

Best Answer

Answers

• Anders_
    Anders_ Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017

This would be helpful to us as well.

Is there a more definitive release schedule other then "end of 2017"?

3577126MottorUser_7VBED
  • Anders_
    Anders_ Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2017

Looking at twitter it seems that we're not alone hoping for an answer..

pastedImage_0.png

Mottoruser3939382User_7VBED
  • user13509297
    user13509297 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018

Why is this not an OpenSource project? C'mon Oracle, this is 2018...

User_7VBED
  • 7a1970a2-f019-479f-9ed8-64625f947821
    edited January 2018

What's the surprise here?

Oracle never got its archaic manner of doing things aside. And will just update something when some company with a lot of money needs it. Nothing is for the community and never was.

Look what the company did with the Sun's open source projects. Even with Java they f***ed up!

User_7VBED
  • user3939382
    user3939382 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2018 Accepted Answer

Beta appears to finally been released, better embarrassingly late than never I guess:

ODP.NET Core Beta Download

After aggressively ignoring this forum for the past 6 months, the .Net team is now pointing folks here to submit feedback and bug reports.

Sergasd
  • Sergasd
    Sergasd Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018

The results of testing the library are very interesting. Have you tried it? Were there any problems?

• User_91MVJ
    User_91MVJ Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon
    edited February 2018

I didn't see any problems except when we use https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility nuget package in our .net core application for accessing Active Directory, it doesn't work. The db.open() command throws error "Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Types.TimeStamp..cctor() exception" . Let me know if any body has any solution to it.

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    Alex Keh-Oracle Posts: 2,751 Employee
    edited February 2018

LDAP support is not currently supported in the first ODP.NET Core beta. .NET Core 2.1 intends to add directory services support, which may entail the ability to support AD with ODP.NET Core.

• Mottor
    Mottor Member Posts: 11 Blue Ribbon
    edited February 2018

Finally. I do not know the reason to ignore this question in last 6 months, but the important is, that we have it.

• user3939382
    edited February 2018

> NET Core 2.1 intends to add directory services support, which may entail the ability to support AD with ODP.NET Core.

Will Oracle be working with the 2.1 daily builds and have something ready at 2.1 launch?   Or will there be a year+ delay for a 2.1 GA release like we are enduring with 2.0?

• User_91MVJ
    User_91MVJ Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon
    edited February 2018

this pre-release nuget package from Microsoft does support ldap and I'm successfully using it in asp.net core 2.0 -> https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility

I fixed the above issue by removing all other DLLs in the package and just keeping the System.DirectoryServices DLL in my solution.

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited February 2018

There will be some delay in supporting the .NET Core 2.1 features. .NET Core 2.1 is planned for Q2 2018, whereas ODP.NET Core is planned for Q3, 2018, which also includes EF Core beta for around that time. Priority will be given to commonly used .NET Core features, such as Configuration API, and ensuring production quality. The most commonly used .NET Core features tend to be the longer lived ones.

3663071 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2018

Once you plug this Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.dll in to your .NET Core app, you'll find these are not supported:

1) DbContextOptionsBuilder - doesn't have a .UseOracle() method to set the DbContext and the Migration Assembly

2) IMutableProperty - Doesn't have an extension .Oracle() method to use when setting DefaultValueSql

So, EF Core migrations is certainly not a feature that is available (either DB-first or code-first)

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited February 2018

ODP.NET EF Core beta is planned for Q3 2018 as described in the updated statement of direction.

• b3d1eef9-13eb-4ec8-b233-f932ee0ba9e3
    edited March 2018

Hi Alex,

We use LDAP to connect to oracle. It used to work with Visual Studio 2015. We are migrating our code to ASP.Net core and ODP.NET core doesn't look to able to resolve the identifier. I get generic message ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

I have tried everything defining TNS_ADMIN, putting files in working directory/bin.

Can you confirm if ODP.NET core(v 2.0.12 from Visual Studio 2017 nuget) supports LDAP and if not by what time we can expect it.

Regards,

Gaurav

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited March 2018

The ODP.NET Core beta doc says LDAP is not supported yet. Microsoft plans to add native LDAP support in .NET Core 2.1. Oracle plans to support LDAP soon after that.

• user3939382
    edited March 2018

> Oracle plans to support LDAP soon after that.

"Soon" as in you are working with the pre-release .Net Core 2.1 builds to have this functionality available within a week or two of the .Net Core 2.1 preview release.

Or "Soon" as in you will start development after the RTM 2.1 build is finalized and won't have something available until 1-2 quarters later?

i.e.  Why is there a huge delay between the .Net releases and the Oracle driver releases that doesn't seem to exist for any other database platform.

97da9823-2fb8-4e3d-b8ae-1374dea97376
  • Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited March 2018

It's hard to say exactly when. Part of it depends on whether we find bugs in the .NET Core LDAP support. If there's a significant bug, we require MS to fix the bug first before ODP.NET Core can support LDAP.

Oracle could not support .NET Core 1.x due to some missing functionality our ADO.NET provider required. That functionality was added in .NET Core 2.0, which is why we now are able to support .NET Core.

This discussion has been closed.