• 3,814,524 Users
  • 2,258,880 Discussions
  • 7,892,765 Comments

Discussions

The Future of ADF and Jdeveloper

Stuart Fleming
Stuart Fleming Member Posts: 391
edited Nov 22, 2017 11:19AM in JDeveloper and ADF

We are starting to use ADF (Jdeveloper) as a replacement of an Oracle Legacy product.  However, the recent events of Oracle getting rid of Java has led my manager to reconsider using ADF.  There is also an industry shift towards web-based development tools.

He has interpreted the statement of direction that they will be working mostly on javascript solutions, and will not be updating functionality in the future.  He has also commented that Oracle has not updated the statement of direction for ADF since the Java outsource, leaving their clients in the dark about it.

I contended that I thought Jdeveloper is now a mature technology, therefore did not need massive upgrades especially since many upgrades require significant resources.   Jdeveloper does just about everything, so it doesn't need much, except tweaks.

What is the future direction given all the changes?  Our development window is 20 years.  We need something that will be around that long.

Thank you,

Stuart

Tagged:
Vladimir ZhilyaevAmittGovindanMohamed.FathiManishPandey

Answers

• Stuart Fleming
    edited Oct 4, 2017 12:46PM

Shay,

As always, thank you for your input.

Best Regards,

Stuart

• Vladimir Zhilyaev
    Vladimir Zhilyaev Member Posts: 497 Bronze Badge
    edited Oct 4, 2017 1:22PM

Thanks for your full answer, Shay.

Could you tell what future will be for next releases of Oracle BPM ?

Is UI for BPM still ADF ? Or you plan implement native support for Oracle JET ? (I mean BPM Workspace and auto-generated forms)

Vladimir

• Shay Shmeltzer-Oracle
    Shay Shmeltzer-Oracle Director of Product Management for Oracle's Cloud Development Tools Posts: 16,865 Employee
    edited Oct 5, 2017 11:36AM

This question will be better answered on the BPM forum.

As far as I know there is no plan to change the UI for the BPM product.

In fact if you look at the new Process Cloud Service interface - it is also based on Oracle ADF:

https://cloud.oracle.com/process

Govindan
  • Vladimir Zhilyaev
    Vladimir Zhilyaev Member Posts: 497 Bronze Badge
    edited Oct 5, 2017 2:10PM

I think I will not get answer on this question in BPM forum.

As far as I know all active BPM forum members don't work in Oracle and likely haven't any insider info.

Vladimir

• Stuart Fleming
    edited Nov 22, 2017 7:46AM

Shay,

In a recent meeting my manager had the Oracle "higher ups" were surprised that we would be starting new development with ADF.  They recommended Oracle Jet, but that isn't and end-to-end solution.  If you reach out to me privately, I can provide you their names.

I don't think Oracle has a clear message -- and that is going to drive customers away to a vendor who doesn't just abandon their platform, but works with it....that was what ADF was supposed to do, but it looks like that might not be the case any more.

Stuart

• Shay Shmeltzer-Oracle
    Shay Shmeltzer-Oracle Director of Product Management for Oracle's Cloud Development Tools Posts: 16,865 Employee
    edited Nov 22, 2017 11:19AM

Stuart, as I indicated above - Oracle JET is indeed a great solution for a more client centric UI layer - which is what many customers choose to focus on when developing new apps.

However, if ADF provides you with a UI experience you are happy with there is no reason not to use it.

As for the comment about "just abandon their platform" , I'm not sure what this is based on - we released a new ADF version a couple of months back, we are still developing new features, and the product still works great for us and for other customers.

This discussion has been closed.