• 7,874,667 Comments

Discussions

Java Web Start support in Java 9 and beyond

2»

Answers

• jwenting
    jwenting Member Posts: 4,864 Gold Badge
    edited Aug 6, 2018 6:11AM

The JDK will be available as always, and I guess the modular nature will let you install just the runtime functionality.

• B Hall
    B Hall Member Posts: 318 Bronze Badge
    edited Oct 19, 2018 12:21PM

Right... So now what? I assume some manager surrounded by browser script bigots who have never actually complied code in their life made this decision. Nuts!

What are we supposed to use to create (recreate) Rich Desktop Applications in? Sorry, a web browser is not an possible answer for many technical reasons!

Years ago we started to working on moving a JWS application to Silverlight. MS of course killed that off, so we stayed on JWS. Now Oracle/whatever process is now killing off JWS. MS UWP? Right - fool me once...

Doesn't anyone actually create / use desktop productivity software anymore? You know, heavy duty 3D spatial mapping with multiple web and local data sources with local long-term caching, multi monitor support, postscript printing to C/D/E size plotters, etc? Are we to just be forced into creating a compiled binary that we have to then distribute / push / update by separate means?

I loved the simplicity of the JWS model. Click on a web page, download a startup script, have the JRE download the libraries, execute it, and keep it all up to date every time it is started. Awesome software delivery model!

• jwenting
    jwenting Member Posts: 4,864 Gold Badge
    edited Oct 30, 2018 1:41AM

You can still use Swing to create Java applications for the desktop, but you can no longer use JWS to distribute them.

There are alternatives provided by the community like Microlaunch (https://sourceforge.net/projects/microlaunch/ ) (which isn't being actively developed by its creator sadly).

Or you can roll something similar on your own.

We're in similar straits ourselves, having a massive system that has as parts among others 2 applications that are distributed using JWS.

JWS AFAIK was abandoned mostly because A) most everything is "rich web applications" these days (or whatever new name people have invented to call a thick web client by now) and B) there's always been problems tunneling JWS through firewalls, especially if the JWS application did things like remote EJB or JMS messaging, or RMI).

This discussion has been closed.