Forum Stats

• 3,816,111 Users
  • 2,259,142 Discussions
  • 7,893,390 Comments

Discussions

Hardware Acceleration, Java, and the New Docking Stations with GPUs

e4d88f1a-fa33-4753-aaa0-cdfbe07d3ab5
edited Nov 7, 2017 8:27PM in Java Programming

We are having a critical problem while testing the D6000 docking station for deployment.  Our observation is that no Java application we use will work with the monitors attached to the docking station.  We would like to be proven wrong, but we would also like a definitive answer to the question:  Does hardware acceleration in Java applications work with this docking station and, from our experience, is turning off hardware acceleration the answer to fixing the problem? Our symptoms with Java apps are frozen windows, windows that don't paint completely, applications that quickly consume computing resources, etc.  If we move the application window to the primary laptop screen, not one of the monitors, it begins to work fine.  If someone is remotely watching this, they see nothing wrong, even though everything is wrong from the user's perspective.

For background, we have researched this problem and suspect that the dock does not like GPU accelerated inputs.  The dock is supplied inputs over a USBc or USB 3.0 connector.  But direct answers from the manufacturers have not been forthcoming.

What do we do other than turn off hardware acceleration in the computer image?  We don't want to mess up the user experience when only the laptop monitor is being used.  Do the recent releases of Java fix the problem? 

Answers

• morgalr
    morgalr Member Posts: 457
    edited Nov 7, 2017 8:27PM

I cannot speak to the D6000 problem, but the problem is not as generic as Java does not get along with GPU accelerations, I use a docking station and also have GPU accelerations on for all of my home and work machines--no problems.

This discussion has been closed.