• 3,828,179 Users
  • 2,260,870 Discussions
  • 7,897,506 Comments

Discussions

Java Puzzle Ball Basic #10 Bug

OTG-467455
OTG-467455 Member Posts: 506 Bronze Badge
edited Nov 10, 2017 4:52AM in Java Puzzle Ball

Blue bumper and rotation wheel seem to have a bug.  Placed rotation wall and blower in their respective slots on the blue wheel.  Not sure what I did. The blue wheel showed the rotation wall and blower but the bumpers did not have any wall or blower attached anymore.

Setting the ball in motion ended up with the ball getting stuck in the first blue bumper in its path.  No deflection obviously due to no walls being present.   The blue bumper continued to emit a sound until I clicked stop.

Any idea what could cause this?

OTG-467455

Best Answer

• NickR2600-Oracle
    NickR2600-Oracle Member Posts: 530 Employee
    edited Nov 9, 2017 6:14PM Answer ✓

It's ok.  I appreciate the help with the research and debugging.  I don't think we'd have to go any further, since there's enough good data suggesting the bug is super rare.  If I has to guess the cause, I'd have to say it's some weird and obscure concurrency issue where the game can't remove the collision lines because it believes it's already removed the object...  I used to be able to recreate this bug by dragging an icon really fast, back and forth, over a slot.  I've tried to smarten up the code since then

I think the collision detection lines for Duke only extend two boxes. In other words, a rectangle stretching from his feat to the tip of his head.  The solution to this puzzle means you'll get to hit Duke between the eyes.

There's a secret way to clear the save data.  This can be done by going to the credits screen and pressing Esc on the keyboard.

OTG-467455OTG-467455

Answers

• OTG-467455
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:17PM

The blue bumper is outside the path of the balls initial trajectory.  The only thing I can think of is the rotation wall was not showing on the game area.

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:25PM

Odd... Could you post a screenshot?  There is a very rare bug where bumpers sometimes retain a behavior, even after an icon is removed from the wheel.  Maybe that's what occurred?

OTG-467455
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:40PM

I am trying to reproduce it, but like I mentioned I am not sure what I did or clicked on to get this effect.   Will keep on trying and try capture screenshot.  It was weird.

• OTG-467455
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:43PM

The strange this about this is that the icons remained in the wheel slots.   They had not been moved nor did they appear in the initial placement slots at the start of the puzzle.   It was just that they were not visible on the play area but may have had the effect you described earlier.

NickR2600-Oracle
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:49PM

Screenshot of 1 pixel

pastedImage_0.png

NickR2600-Oracle
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 9, 2017 4:58PM

Trying to get the game to repeat the problem is proving to be as difficult as solving this puzzle.  I have tried clearing out the save files to start from a clean slate but to no avail.

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited Nov 9, 2017 6:14PM Answer ✓

It's ok.  I appreciate the help with the research and debugging.  I don't think we'd have to go any further, since there's enough good data suggesting the bug is super rare.  If I has to guess the cause, I'd have to say it's some weird and obscure concurrency issue where the game can't remove the collision lines because it believes it's already removed the object...  I used to be able to recreate this bug by dragging an icon really fast, back and forth, over a slot.  I've tried to smarten up the code since then

I think the collision detection lines for Duke only extend two boxes. In other words, a rectangle stretching from his feat to the tip of his head.  The solution to this puzzle means you'll get to hit Duke between the eyes.

There's a secret way to clear the save data.  This can be done by going to the credits screen and pressing Esc on the keyboard.

OTG-467455OTG-467455
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 10, 2017 4:46AM

Purely for curiosity I will try and get the scenario to repeat itself, knowing it may take a lot of footwork.

Thanks for your responses. 

I must compliment you on the humour in the program when you click on Duke.  "Ha ha, That tickles!"