• 2,260,703 Discussions
  • 7,897,071 Comments

Discussions

Installing Java EE

OTG-467455
OTG-467455 Member Posts: 506 Bronze Badge
edited Nov 27, 2017 2:31PM in Java Puzzle Ball

This is out of the scope of this MOOC.

I have Java SDK's installed for version 8 and 9.

I need some pointers about how to do the following:

1. Implement Java Enterprise Edition software to extend the functionality of the Java 8 SDK for CORBA, Servlets etc....
  2. The Java 8 EE would be compatible with Java 8SDK or is it possible that this could work with Java 9.
OTG-467455

Best Answer

• NickR2600-Oracle
    NickR2600-Oracle Member Posts: 530 Employee
    edited Nov 27, 2017 2:11PM Answer ✓

I've heard back from one of the development managers.  He suggests the Java EE Tutorial. (Java SE 8 | Earlier Java EE Versions).  Looks like there are setup instructions there as part of Step 3 of the "Your First Cup"  Tutorial.  He also suggested the OpenJDK and Java EE mailing lists as resources to hear about the latest and greatest.  Here's the full body of the reply:

EE 8 SDK, and GlassFish do not support Java SE 9 yet. The timeline for adding Java SE 9 is a bit confused because of the changes in release timing and support longevity that have been introduced by the OpenJDK's revised evolution changes and when the various LTS releases are due to come out. I cannot give you a target date for EE 8 with SE 9 support, at this time.
    So long as the developer is using the APIs as described, using CORBA and Servlet should be okay with Java SE 8 and Java EE 8. If they want to get under the hood and actually modify CORBA or Servlet (or anything else) support, that's a different story and generally isn't "supported." They are welcome to investigate options via the open-source community (OpenJDK mailing lists, or Java EE Mailing Lists).
    I'm guessing they have already looked at the Java EE tutorial? If not, I'd suggest they go there next.
    OTG-467455OTG-467455

Answers

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited Nov 20, 2017 3:48PM

Let me ask around for a Java EE expert.  Last I knew, Java SE 9 is deprecating for removal CORBA and other EE APIs within Java SE because they are out of sink with the latest Java EE version, difficult to maintain, and have possible security concerns.

OTG-467455
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 20, 2017 3:55PM

Hi Nick, Corba was just an example.  Many years ago the installation of EE was almost like the install of the SDK.  But now it is simply a zip file.   What other config is required to get it to work?

• NickR2600-Oracle
    edited Nov 27, 2017 2:11PM Answer ✓

I've heard back from one of the development managers.  He suggests the Java EE Tutorial. (Java SE 8 | Earlier Java EE Versions).  Looks like there are setup instructions there as part of Step 3 of the "Your First Cup"  Tutorial.  He also suggested the OpenJDK and Java EE mailing lists as resources to hear about the latest and greatest.  Here's the full body of the reply:

EE 8 SDK, and GlassFish do not support Java SE 9 yet. The timeline for adding Java SE 9 is a bit confused because of the changes in release timing and support longevity that have been introduced by the OpenJDK's revised evolution changes and when the various LTS releases are due to come out. I cannot give you a target date for EE 8 with SE 9 support, at this time.
    So long as the developer is using the APIs as described, using CORBA and Servlet should be okay with Java SE 8 and Java EE 8. If they want to get under the hood and actually modify CORBA or Servlet (or anything else) support, that's a different story and generally isn't "supported." They are welcome to investigate options via the open-source community (OpenJDK mailing lists, or Java EE Mailing Lists).
    I'm guessing they have already looked at the Java EE tutorial? If not, I'd suggest they go there next.
    OTG-467455OTG-467455
  • OTG-467455
    edited Nov 22, 2017 4:53AM

Thanks, Nick, It is a Java 8SDK and Java 8 EE config that I am after.  There is quite a lag between releasing the JDK and the EE.  This has been the case for quite some time.  But they may have a lot of regression testing to perform so that a stable and functional product  version is released to public use.

• OTG-467455
    edited Nov 23, 2017 3:47PM

The following link returns an "Error Page 404": Java EE 8

NickR2600-Oracle
  • NickR2600-Oracle
    edited Nov 27, 2017 2:12PM

Oops!  I've repaired the link above.  It should lead to https://javaee.github.io/firstcup/toc.html

OTG-467455