• 3,876,067 Users
  • 2,267,054 Discussions
  • 7,912,418 Comments

Discussions

Unable to start Flight Recorder from JMC

sam.bishop
sam.bishop Member Posts: 5
edited Jan 15, 2018 4:35AM in Java Mission Control

I'm trying to transition from using JMC 6.0 from within a JDK 9 installation to using it as an Eclipse plugin, but I can't start a Flight Recorder session using the Eclipse plugin version.

This looks like a Windows-specific issue.  If I open the "Start Flight Recording" wizard using 6.0.0.173920 (the plugin version), I get an error message near the top of the wizard page saying that ": is an invalid character in path C:/Users/...".  It's obviously complaining about the colon after the drive letter.  The path text box is read-only, and the "Browse..." button opens a dialog window that does not allow me to change the folder or path, so I'm stuck.

If I remember right, the standalone version (6.0.0.173472) gives me a relative "Destination File" path in the "Start Flight Recording" wizard, so it doesn't have this problem.

Klara Ward, Java Mission Control Dev-Oracle

Best Answer

• Klara Ward, Java Mission Control Dev-Oracle
    edited Jan 11, 2018 3:31AM Answer ✓

Do you have any projects in your workspace? You need to select one of those in the Browse dialog, and just type the filename without path. This "works on my machine", Windows 7, Eclipse 4.7.1a, JMC 6.0.0.173920

(You can also link that file to a file on your regular filesystem (click Advanced>>), but you still have to place it in a project in the workspace as well.)

I believe we have an open bug for the default recording file path in Eclipse being a regular path instead of a workspace path.

Answers

edited Jan 11, 2018 3:31AM Answer ✓

Do you have any projects in your workspace? You need to select one of those in the Browse dialog, and just type the filename without path. This "works on my machine", Windows 7, Eclipse 4.7.1a, JMC 6.0.0.173920

(You can also link that file to a file on your regular filesystem (click Advanced>>), but you still have to place it in a project in the workspace as well.)

I believe we have an open bug for the default recording file path in Eclipse being a regular path instead of a workspace path.

• sam.bishop
    edited Jan 11, 2018 12:44PM

No, I didn't have any projects in my workspace.  But I created one and was able to follow your instructions.  Thank you!

I don't use Eclipse as a Java IDE, which is probably why I had trouble figuring out what the problem was.  (And why I didn't have any projects in my workspace.)

Klara Ward, Java Mission Control Dev-Oracle
    edited Jan 12, 2018 8:19AM

Any reason for using JMC in Eclipse if you are not using Eclipse as an IDE? (Just curious)

(Platform support is the only reason I can think of)

• sam.bishop
    edited Jan 12, 2018 10:14AM

Two reasons.  (And the first one might not be a good one.)  As far as I can tell, JMC 6.0 is only available as a standalone application as part of a JDK 9 install, but our company is still using 8.  I'm trying to increase awareness of JMC, but as far as instructions for others go, "download Eclipse and install the JMC plugin" seemed simpler than "install a second JDK but make sure that you don't use it on accident".  (And I much prefer JMC 6.0 to 5.5!)

The second reason is because I've been using other Eclipse-based tools (such as MAT), but all as separate installs.  I thought it might make sense to combine them.

edited Jan 15, 2018 4:34AM

I think those are two good reasons

(I'm used to having 50+ JDKs on my machine, but I know I'm not a regular user...)

edited Jan 15, 2018 4:35AM

Any particular reasons you prefer JMC 6.0 to 5.5?

This discussion has been closed.