• 2,250,483 Discussions
  • 7,867,775 Comments

Discussions

How to stop printing SQL statement of login.sql in sqlcl

User_ZUUOD
User_ZUUOD Member Posts: 798 Bronze Badge
edited Jan 29, 2018 3:02PM in SQLcl

Hi All,

When I am running sqlcl it automatically calls login.sql but along with script execution it's also showing sql in display.

Can you please advise how to hide sql statement i.e. i don't want to display the line marked in yellow i.e. old: select

pastedImage_0.png

thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Best Answer

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,778 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 27, 2018 10:47AM Accepted Answer

Among a lot of things wrong with commands and sql in your login.sql and i.sql...

How about making more use of sys_context?

For example, instead of using &_connect_identifier, use the service_name instead:

upper('&_connect_identifier') "_i_conn"

With:

sys_context('userenv', 'service_name') "_i_conn"

That way no substitution prompting for your dodgily written sql statement, which gets rid of one of your problems with what you reported. (as a workaround anyway).

In login.sql,

def editor=...

for sqlplus and sqlcl to make use of that it should be:

def _editor=...

There seems to be many uses of "set feedback off, when just one would do.

...and your "set sqlprompt..." code isn't working.

Use of sql and PL/SQL populate the SQL buffer with the last executed statement. EXEC'd statements and sqlplus commands and some sqlcl commands do not.

A simpler way to set the prompt to [email protected]_string> would be:

set sqlprompt "&_user.@&_connect_identifier> "

A trimmed down working version of your login.sql and the fixed (workaround) i.sql, working in sqlplus and sqlcl attached.

thatJeffSmith-OracleUser_ZUUOD

Answers

• Gary Graham-Oracle
    Gary Graham-Oracle Member Posts: 3,256 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 18, 2018 4:19PM

You could start by adding

set termout off

to your login.sql, but you do not show where the unknown COLUMN option is used in your SQL statement so I can not test conclusively.

Edit:

But it looks like you have an error or typo in some COL definition in the login.sql, as in...

[email protected]> col abcd format a15 @INST_NAMESP2-0158: unknown COLUMN option "@INST_NAME"

Rather than fixing the error, you could also try

set echo off
  • User_ZUUOD
    edited Jan 18, 2018 4:40PM

None of these helping.

I just don't want to show SQL query but want to display it's result, If i put terminal output off it not showing result.

• User_ZUUOD
    edited Jan 18, 2018 4:46PM
  • Gary Graham-Oracle
    Gary Graham-Oracle Member Posts: 3,256 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 19, 2018 1:15AM

So I suppose the short answer is...

1. We will ignore the SP2-0158 since you commented out the offending COL definition, but SQL*Plus handles it while SQLcl does not.

2. Use set echo off to suppress display of the SQL statement, just like in SQL*Plus.

3. Use set verify off to suppress display of the variable substitution before (old:) and after (new:) states, just like in SQL*Plus.

4. Testing your sample login.sql and the i.sql script it calls, both on SQL*Plus and SQLcl, I notice an interesting difference:

a) With the default of set verify on, SQL*Plus only displays old: and new: for substituted lines.  For example, in your case...

old  21:      upper('&_connect_identifier') "_i_conn"          new 21:      upper('xe') "_i_conn" 

b) Whereas SQLcl will display both old: and new: as containing the entire SQL statement, which is unfortunately a bit unwieldy.

Feel free to open a Service Request with My Oracle Support for the issues noted in (1) and (4). It is always nice to keep moving SQLcl behavior closer to that of SQL*Plus

thatJeffSmith-Oracle
  • User_ZUUOD
    edited Jan 19, 2018 11:35AM

Hi ,

I can't open a SR with support as my organization won't allow to raise SR. Is there any other way to send this request ?

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 7,931 Employee
    edited Jan 22, 2018 12:52PM

Have someone at your org log it for you then.

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,778 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 27, 2018 10:47AM Accepted Answer

Among a lot of things wrong with commands and sql in your login.sql and i.sql...

How about making more use of sys_context?

For example, instead of using &_connect_identifier, use the service_name instead:

upper('&_connect_identifier') "_i_conn"

With:

sys_context('userenv', 'service_name') "_i_conn"

That way no substitution prompting for your dodgily written sql statement, which gets rid of one of your problems with what you reported. (as a workaround anyway).

In login.sql,

def editor=...

for sqlplus and sqlcl to make use of that it should be:

def _editor=...

There seems to be many uses of "set feedback off, when just one would do.

...and your "set sqlprompt..." code isn't working.

Use of sql and PL/SQL populate the SQL buffer with the last executed statement. EXEC'd statements and sqlplus commands and some sqlcl commands do not.

A simpler way to set the prompt to [email protected]_string> would be:

set sqlprompt "&_user.@&_connect_identifier> "

A trimmed down working version of your login.sql and the fixed (workaround) i.sql, working in sqlplus and sqlcl attached.

thatJeffSmith-OracleUser_ZUUOD
  • User_ZUUOD
    edited Jan 29, 2018 3:02PM

Thanks Man.

You saved Jeff and team's work on a non existing bug