Forum Stats

• 3,875,513 Users
  • 2,266,932 Discussions
  • 7,912,240 Comments

Discussions

invoking java 7 jar in java 6 client code.

Manjit
Manjit Member Posts: 571
edited Feb 8, 2018 7:36PM in Java Programming

I have java 6 running in my machine.I compile my java 6 client that is invoking third party java 7 API (jar file).While compiling I get warning that

"major version 51 is newer than 50,the highest major version supported by this compiler.It is recommended that the compiler be upgraded"

I ignore the warning ,and run my client.

Then I get this error "UnsupportedClassVersionError...Unsupported major minor version 51.0

Interestingly I get the above error in the second call below !I thought the error should have been received in the first call itself.

//java 7 api call

ApiFactory.initialize();

//another java 7 api call

ApiSecurityCallback securityCB = new DefaultSecurityCallback("Guest", "Guest");

Infact I was expecting compilation error !

Can someone solve the mystery.

thanks

manjit

rpc1handat

Best Answer

• handat
    handat Member Posts: 4,688 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 7, 2018 4:27PM Answer ✓

Exactly. By using third party APIs compiled with version 7, you are potentially running code that is not compatible, hence the warning during compile. Unless the APIs were compiled with JDK 7 using the -target option designating version 6 or below compatible bytecode, then this is expected.

Manjit

Answers

• morgalr
    morgalr Member Posts: 457
    edited Feb 6, 2018 8:10PM

Here is where my head goes from experiences I have had:

You are compiling only your code and referencing the library from the more recent version. The entry points are supported as in the previous versions of Java, so until you actually get to runtime and reference code that is not supported, you are good to go.

I have run many a project that has been compiled on later versions of java than clients support, and it works, as long as you do not use any features of the new version not supported in the old.

Les

Manjit
  • rpc1
    rpc1 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited Feb 6, 2018 10:11PM

Simply run project in java 7 environment. You can't run jars compiled with java 7 in Java 6 enviroment

Manjit
  • morgalr
    edited Feb 7, 2018 2:13PM

Actually you can, or at least you used to be able to do so, if, and only if, you don't use ANY of the new features listed in the newer environment.  We compiled and ran version 5 from version 6 and from version 7 for quite some time.

<edit added comment>

Actually you should probably make that we ran on a Java 2 based server when we developed using 3, then 4, then 5.  Each time we had to make sure we didn't use any of the features that were not byte code identical to version 2.

</edit added comment>

Manjit
  • handat
    handat Member Posts: 4,688 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 7, 2018 4:27PM Answer ✓

Exactly. By using third party APIs compiled with version 7, you are potentially running code that is not compatible, hence the warning during compile. Unless the APIs were compiled with JDK 7 using the -target option designating version 6 or below compatible bytecode, then this is expected.

Manjit
  • Unknown
    edited Feb 8, 2018 12:10PM
    Can someone solve the mystery.

You can solve that mystery yourself by using Java 7 to execute jars/classes compiled for Java 7.

If you want us to evaluate/analyze your code then you need to post ALL of the needed code.

No one can debug/analyze code that they cannot see. We have NO IDEA what jar/class files your code is using or what ApiFactory class you are referring to.

You say it is a Java 7 call - please post a link to the Oracle Java 7 API for the ApiFactory class in Java 7.

rpc1handatManjit
    836548 Member Posts: 286
    edited Feb 8, 2018 2:37AM

You need to understand, What is compile time error and runtime error.

The error you mentioned has nothing to do with compile time, as it got the supportive class which identifies the method and nothing wrong with syntax.

It gave runtime time error, as it didn't find the supportive version of JDK with which it was compiled earlier.

Manjit
  • Manjit
    edited Feb 8, 2018 4:13PM

Thanks handat.This is what I believe might happened.I confirmed with the API developer too .Thanks again

• Manjit
    edited Feb 8, 2018 4:14PM

Thank you Morgair.Did some research based on what you said,and got more informations.

Thanks again

• morgalr
    edited Feb 8, 2018 4:15PM

And that is exactly what I said in my original post--the entry points are the same, but the byte code is not compatible from the 7 for at least some features used.

• Unknown
    edited Feb 8, 2018 7:36PM
    And that is exactly what I said in my original post--the entry points are the same, but the byte code is not compatible from the 7 for at least some features used.

It isn't necessarily what 'features' are used.

Each class file has the major and minor versions embedded in the header. The class loader of the runtime checks the version numbers against the version of the runtime and simply won't load later class files.

See the Class File Format chapter of the JVM Spec

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/jvms-4.html

This discussion has been closed.