• 2,258,927 Discussions
  • 7,892,883 Comments

Discussions

XMLType data truncation during export

thedailycommute
thedailycommute Member Posts: 1 Red Ribbon
edited Mar 2, 2018 5:40AM in SQL Developer

Hi.

SQL Developer 17.4.0.355 (Build 355.2349)

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Problem: Data truncation when exporting from a XMLType field

I have been trying to export a small table (26 records, two columns - a numeric ID and a XMLType field containing UTF-8 data) but without success. Every format I have tried (XML, CSV, INSERT, EXCEL - all available options) etc.) truncate the XML data. Each format truncates at a different point, but always around the 4000 character mark. After looking around the forum I discovered that this problem was already reported for SQL Developer v3, and in the case of the second link (below), one reply stated that the problem had been "fixed for a future release".

SQL Developer 3 - Export truncates XMLType data

Is there a 4000 char limit for an xlsx cell during export?

It appears that the problem either still exists (in Developer 17.4) or else there has been a regression. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any workarounds (except manually copying all of the data! For now that's possible with just 26 records, but imagine if there were 260 or 2600!)

I have to confess that I find it strange this bug still exists after so many years, it was only by chance that I noticed the data had been truncated...

Thanks!

John

Tagged:
This discussion has been closed.